Does omeprazole cause anxiety and panic attacks?

Posted , 13 users are following.

My daughter who is 15 was prescribed omeprazole for acid reflex about 2 weeks ago and now sheis having panic attacks and severe anxiety..Is anyone else having these side affects from this

medication??

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I been taking Lansoprazole for years (I think they are the same as omeprazole) they can cause a lot of side effects. Have you read the leaflet that comes with the medication, it should say on there if they cause panic attacks. Or look online for a list of side effects.
  • Posted

Hi Diane

So sorry your daughter is suffering like this.

I think some people can react very badly to certain drugs. I took sertraline (which is an SSRI anti-depressant) and within 24 hours of taking the first one I had my first ever panic attack. It was horrible. There followed several huge waves of anxiety over the next 3 days - and then, just spent the next 3 weeks in a state of very heightened anxiety - something I hadn't experienced since having PND 10 years ago.

Within 4 days of stopping taking them, I was back to normal.

• Posted

I suspect that acid reflex problems has something to do with panic attacks also. If her reflex is severe,

I suggest you ask for more investigations to check if she has a Hiatus Hernia.

It could just part of her growing up, many teenagers do get severe anxiety issues.

Also I do suspect that these class of drugs may be responsible for Panic attacks or a combination of it.

If Panic attacks are bad she can get help to over come them, but please do this quickly because

panic attacks can lead to severe depression also.

That is not good in young people.

• Posted

Hi Diane,

My Husband has taken them for years also a friend but no side effects,but everybody is different so you should tell the GP.

• Posted

Hi Diane

I've been taking Omeprazole for about six months now. Originally I was prescribed them due to one of the side effects of taking sertraline (50 mg a day for anxiety), and now having been prescribed sertraline for the second time, I'm back to 20mg Omeprazole a day again (having dropped to 10mg as and when needed).

I'm not sure if there is a link between Omeprazole and anxiety attacks, but my anxiety is sometimes through the roof, to the point that I also need to take up to 80mg propranolol a day in addition. I hadn't considered that Omeprazole might have something to do with it, but perhaps I will speak to my doctor.

I hope your daughter is ok and has got to the bottom of her anxiety/panic attacks, and thank you for highlighting this.

• Posted

There are a lot of side-effects mentioned in the leaflet inside the box, see if it corresponds to it.

I have taken omeprazole before but havent suffered any side-effects (i also find it is better than lansoprazole). Anyway they are both medicinal drugs but I just want to point out for the reason of long-term possible effects I started taking Peppermint tea and it gets rid of any gastro problems whether it is bloating, gas, acid or reflux. Whenever any of these things happen to me I drink a cup of peppermint tea (without milk) and im so relieved, now i always keep a box at home.

The best thing is,...no side-effects.

• Posted

Hi Diane. I was just wandering whether your daughter found out if omeprezole was causing anxiety or was it the reflux? I am so up and down with it at the moment and dnt know which it could be?
  • Posted

Hi!

I know this thread is old... but about a year ago I was prescribed 40 Mg of omeprazole. Shortly after starting it my heartburn was gone BUT I started having panic attacks. At first I thought it was stress at work and life and whatever but did some research and found a lot of other people having the same issues. The drug plays with the chemicals in your brain to stop producing stomach acid. So I'm convinced that is why they started. I stop the meds and went back to tums. It's been a while now and anxiety has gotten much better!

Hope this helps!

Ryan

• Posted

hi i too was on 40mg of omeprazole for a few years!! just recently i started having panic attacks and anxiety! i've never been anxious in my life! i also had heart palpitations! i have had loads of tests at the hospital on my heart and blood tests! cut a long story short, i have very low Vitamin D and B12 in turn these can cause anxiety! taking the omeprazole for all these years have depleted all my vitamins!! i stopped taking these horrid tablets 6 weeks ago and feel much better!i just hope they dont take too long to get out of my system! 

• Posted

Hi Ryan

I never had anxiety before in my life until last year it was very bad was taking panic attacks. It got really bad it was causing sleepin problems I could never get to the bottom of it. We to the doctors I even went to counselling. I was taking omprazole and never thought anything of it. I've went over a full year without telling stressed and yesterday was the first time in a long time I took an omprazole and boom felt really stressed and got wile bad anxiety just seenin the forum now mad me realise that it must be the omprazole.

• Edited

yes i believe they do about two year ago i was put on them yes started to work but then i started to wake up with nervousness stomach only having 2 hours sleep. then all day was light headed crying all the time and on top if that i had seizure i stop them two years all ok then before xmas i had some more but different one first day was ok then over three days had two seizures crying could not sleep and nervousness in stomach again and blood pressure was over 221/136. they kept me in hospital for three days i am off it but still at the monument. just burping all the time now so do not know what to do. i hope she get better soon

• Posted

I think so. I was taking another Proton Pump Inhibitor with bad racing heart and shaking 😦

• Posted

I asked my Psychatrist today about these PPI - and he said it is a rare side effect but it can, and it does increase heartbeat. i have also had a bad experience with it.

• Edited

just letting anyone out there know who takes omeprazole or lansoprazole they need to keep an eye on vitamin B12 levels, intrinsic factor depletion is one of the main causes of this deficiency brought on by long term use of proton pump inhibitor drugs such as the above mentioned. Ann

• Edited

Hi just wanted to share my story. Around July/August I was prescribed Omeprazole 15 mg i think, due to some indigestion symptoms. I wasn't sure why I was experiencing these symptoms. I wasn't sure if it was because I was stressed as I had been isolating and had deadlines for university or my diet. I found that having the indigestion symptoms made me a bit anxious and I would just pace a lot at home. So I started the ppi and they definitely helped my heartburn however 2 weeks after starting them me and my boyfriend went to the beach and this is honestly one of my favourite days out to do and as we were approaching the beach in the car I had my first ever panic attack. It was horrible. I felt really nauseous (I normally fear being sick for some reason so this was scary in itself), tingling in my hand, my thoughts were racing, I couldn't sit still. I was completely restless. It was a horrible feeling. When we got to the beach I told my boyfriend I didn't feel comfortable getting out the car so we drove back home. I was gutted. Ever since this experience I have developed anxiety, nervous about going out in fear it will happen again, nervous about being left alone even if I'm at home, nervous about getting in the car. Everything has become so much more of a struggle like things I would've done so easily before. To this day I'm still on a ppi but now Lansoprazole 15mg but I still have no clue why the panic attack happened and not knowing has just made me excessively worry. I've recently been prescribed Sertraline 50mg and working my way up by starting on 25mg. I told my local GP about my suspicions about the ppi triggering that panic attack/anxiety and they said it wasn't a common side effect so they thought it was maybe because I had anxiety before and just didn't notice and potentially that all my indigestion symptoms could've been due to developing anxiety. Which did kind of make sense to me but honestly who knows. I haven't had the exact same panic attack feeling since but on Christmas day I felt slightly similar so this scared me hence why I'm starting an anti-depressant. Sorry this is so lengthy but I personally think these forums are so helpful and they're really good at making people feel less alone so if I've helped someone feel less alone I'll be happy 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.