Does Orlistat get rid of existing fat?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi . I have started taking Orlistat. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and hypothyroidism. I eat a low fat vegetarian diet but have trouble keeping the weight down. I have been monitoring closely what I eat and it is very low fat, I ate 6.1g in total yesterday. Does Orlistat work on existing fat? How does it help to lose weight if you already eat low fat? I have been taking it for a week and bowels are no different from usual, it is like I'm not taking them at all. Any thoughts would be awesome!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello.. I No it does something to 1/3rd of the fat in your system.. I have been taking orlistat for 2 weeks now.. I have just downloaded my fitness pal which will show u what calories, fat and carbs u need every day definitely worth a go.. smile
    • Posted

I have used that app I found it a little frustrating. I get told I don't eat enough but I can't bring myself to eat more as the scales and clothes tell me otherwise!!! It is very early days so I maybe need to be more patient. Have you noticed any difference yet?

• Posted

Hi, I also have pcos and started back on orlistat on Friday, I lost 2 stone last year on them in 7weeks. If your bowels r the same your eating the right diet, I you end up with side effects u nobu have eaten 2 much fat and need to cut back. U may start to feel bloated but this is normal when you 1st start them, just make sure you keep drinking loads of water and take a multi vitamin 😊 gud luck x
    • Posted

Thank you! Wow, you did so well losing 2 stone! I was just worried that if there is no change in bowels and I eat a real low fat diet, how they were going to work. I am being impatient I think! Yup, I will keep drinking lots of water and multi vitamins. Good luck with your next lot of Orlistat. Isn't pcos a pain?!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.