Does panic disorder come back?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I moved in another country few months ago, leaving behind very stresfull past and enviroment. But what seemed as happy ending started as the biggest battle of my life. I started getting panic attacks, so strong and so frequent, like nothing I have ever experienced in my life (I have always been bit anxtious, and had few panic attacks but nothing that was really serious).

I started with medication (bromazepam, now I am tappering off, reaching the end), Cognitive Behevioral Therapy, changed my diet, started exercising and getting to know the new enviroment, yoga, meditation... This period I read a book about Acceptance and commitment therapy, which really helps especially when I had withdrawl symptoms... Long story short, I feel much better, even if a trigger for panic attack ocures (in rare ocations), I manage to block it in early stage. It's been good 3-4 months for me..

But I worry a bit.. It's not paralysing fear, just worry...What happened to me was really scary, having 5-6 attacks a day while you are alone in a house in a middle of nowhere, with no friends and family is horror. Part of me wonders if I am really cured, what if it happens again... while I am alone... in a plane, closed space, strange new city, extensive stress? Does it mean I will be back at the beggining? How do I know I have developed succesful coping mechanism to deal with this in the future? Cause I never wanna touch medication again (withdrawl is scary also)...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I believe movimg is listed as one of the top 10 stressers,give yourself permision to be a bit anxious its only normal.
    • Posted

Good survival. Write down the details for yourself. How exactly you mastered this situation. If you are worried about a repeat then be ready for a repeat. Details can get lost over time. I read that one can de stress by bringi ng the head below the heart
    • Posted

...and that's exacly the first thing a therapist said to me smile Thank you for reminding me smile
    • Posted

You are right about remembering the details... I even thought starting a blog about my journey... And yes, 'combating' the fear is the key factor, they say panic atacks stop when you stop fearing them. I will try to have more trust in me for now, at least I got stronger and smarter after this smile
  • Posted

Situational anxiety can be gone forever.what lee said is beyond true.you moved to a new country. So your answer is yes it can be gone  and you have all the toold and skills to deal wianxiety now as well. By now you have also become familiar with your new home enviornment and hopefully made some new friends as well. Which is always nice. What country did you move to? Im just curious
    • Posted

Tnx for your answer and interest! I moved to Netherlands.. and the country is nothing but wonderful.. but the first 3 months I lived in a very isolated vacation house.. I guess the solitude and silence 'got me' (i lived in a big city before, my whole life). But now I am in relocated in urban enviroment and things are much easier since then... I think I am just not made for 'life in the woods' smile
    • Posted

That was smart to move to move to an urban area. You actually live in one of the top places to even live in the world right now. I would love to live there just from everything i have read about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.