Does PMR pain move to different groups of muscles?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Went to bed last night with pain in my neck, upper back and shoulders

Woke this morning with worse pain in those areas

Since PMR I've had pain in the hips and lower back and legs, on 10mg pred now, but I have new pain in areas that weren't previously painful

Is this normal for PMR?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Will be interested in replies margot as I’m in the same situation. Always had pain in leg/hip, but recently terrible pain in my arm & shoulder, & no strength in my arm & hand. 

• Posted

Yes Marion, it is interesting. I do think the no strength in your arm and hand is unusual

Eileen's response to your situation is worth considering

Bless you and I hope you will do as well as can be

• Posted

If it is progressing it is likely to affect other areas. Most people say it started as x, then y joined in and later z - and even a... If you are taking a high enough dose of pred then you shouldn't notice it I suppose.

Marian - is the pain one-sided? In which case there has to be some doubt about it being directly attributable to the PMR. Shoulder injuries are also quite commonly confused with PMR - rotator cuff for example.

• Posted

Yes Eileen my pain in just my right shoulder & arm. Hand very weak too - keep dropping things. 

• Posted

Then you need at least an x-ray and possibly other imaging. It could be shoulder damage - but it could also be an artery problem affecting the blood flow to that arm, although without lots more detail it is impossible to know. But it should not be put down to "just" PMR without being sure it isn't something else.

• Posted

from what I've read on various websites is that PMR affects both the right and the left side of the body .. if you don't experience that, it may not be PMR .. from my own experience I must say that the pain moves around .. one day my lower legs hurt, the next day or so it's gone again .. one day my ribcase hurts and breathing is painful, the next day it's reduced or gone .. some body parts remain painful all the time but the pain level is not constant either .. one day is better or worse than the other .. hope this of interest

• Posted

Have you been checked for Lyme disease?  Apparently pain which travels around the body can by caused by Lyme disease.  It also in many ways presents like PMR so in areas where it's a possibility it should be ruled out in the initial process of diagnosis.

• Posted

Yes definitely of of interest. Thanks for sharing. I am exactly the same, pain moving around and different days different pain level. for the last week it has been worse on the right side. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.