Does post exertional malaise have to mean tiredness?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently wrote a post saying ive been diagnosed with post viral fatigue after 3 months of feeling horrible. Thought I was coming out of it though as the last few weeks ive vastly improved and have only been left with pain at back of my head and ear and neck pain with mild tiredness. I have however this week had a busy week of working, Christmas shopping, took kids outdoor ice skating etc- this was all tues-thurs and today I feel shocking- not necessarily more tired but my aches and pains have returned in arms, legs and shoulders and my legs feel very weak to the point where I was just driving home from work this morning and my leg was shaking on the clutch pedal- I don't really feel more tired than I have the other days but im definitely feeling worse than I have in a while- is this typical of post exertional malaise or does post exertional malaise nean tiredness? Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think that patients tend to report more aches and pain than tiredness. It does vary though, and as with much around CFS, I think that people can mean different things with the words they use.
  • Posted

This sounds like what happens to me, boom and bust and personally this is the hardest thing for me to manage, especially when you have children. Get some rest if you can and good luck!
  • Posted

Thanks to both for replying! I think when I would read the symptoms of pvf Id assume the post exertional malaise meant tiredness as in sleeping for ages but today was definitely just a return of all over body weakness and aches and pains. Feeling slightly better after a couple of hours just laying in bed doing nothing. Going to focus on resting the next few days as certainly don't want a set back before xmas! I'm really struggling with neck and back of head pain at the moment! Currently sat with an ice pack wrapped in a scarf while I watch text santa!!!
    • Posted

When I get really bad pem I feel like I've been hit by a bus with aches and pains from head to toe.
    • Posted

Ive been doubting my diagnosis so far thinking I don't have the pem that's listed on the symptom lists as I don't feel anymore tired than normal after exerting myself but I certainly felt like ive been hit by a bus this afternoon aches and pains wise. I still think ive only got a mild form of pvf as I feel so much better this aft just after a couple of hours resting but just shows that even though I thought I was getting better I need to rest a few months longer before I think I can go back to normal life!
  • Posted

Hi Danielle.

I believe that it is. The more I learn about this condition the more I'm starting to understand that they all come hand in hand.

Think this time of the year were all a little guilty of overdoing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.