Does Pregabalin work for IC pain relief

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone taken Pregabalin (Lyrica) for IC pain relief?  Does it work?  How bad are the side effects?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello smile I've never been given any medication for my IC? The doctors have all said there is nothing they can give me? No pain killers etc work for me anyway.  I would like to know who prescribed this and have you done any research yourself?  I definitely would check out this drug.
    • Posted

Pregabalin was prescribed by my GP but looking at the side effects they were quite a lot so I want to see if anyone else has used it
  • Posted

Hi there!

Ive never heard of or tried that medicine, however after months of batteling ive finally found something that has taken my symptoms of IC away. ( Well lets hope it lasts!!)

Its called urispas 200, I take it twice sometimes 3 times a day! And its the only thing in the last 3 months that has actually worked for me. No side effects, just pain relief, normal bathroom visits and im compelety unaware of my blader being achey the whole time!!

Hope this helps... smile

• Posted

Interesting, I am taking Tolterodine for overactive bladder symptoms but it doesn't deal with the pain.  Looks like Urispas 200 does the same job, will add that one to the list of options to discuss with my GP.
  • Posted

Pregabalin should only be taken for a short time really. It can lead to severe constipation but other side effects.  With IC it's a good idea to take as natural approach as possible and avoid drugs. Diet is worth looking at and particularly no gluten, as it can affected the immune system throwing out antibodies that attack tissue and cause inflammation. Not talking about Coeliac - but non-Coeliac gluten sensitivity. Cut the sugars, carbs and even grains and legumes - a Paleo, healing type diet. The trouble is pregabalin only is masking the symptoms.
    • Posted

PBurn, thanks for the reply.  I have been GF for over 5 years since discovering my gluten intolerance, I used to have IBS but that has gone since I started the GF diet.   The IC started after I was GF.  I am also asthmatic and have allergic rhinitis.  I have tried changing my diet to cut out all the usuals caffeine, sugars, tomatoes, citrus, cranberry but the IC pain continues.  I am currently going through the GPs list of drugs to find if one works.  I counter the constipation effects of drugs with a Nakd bar every day, they contain dates/ fruit which are a good natural laxative - they are also delicious to eat.   I agree drugs only mask the symptoms but understand IC can be lifelong if diagnosed. It is then experimentation with diet and treatments to manage it the best you can.
    • Posted

Also worth getting food intollerance and allergy testing if you have allergies. Quercetin is a natural antihistamine. Mast cells can be involved in IC and high numbers are often found in biopsies of tissue. So calming allergies is another method. Getting rid of heavy metals, mercury, amalgam also important. Worth reading Along the Healing Path.
    • Posted

Thanks PBurn, I shall try and get that book.  I am a believer in trying natural remedies as well as medical ones.  I was recommended Saw Palmetto for prostate enlargement problems by an NHS urology consultant and that works very well.  I am interested that you talk about heavy metals and amalgam, isn't amalgam what dentists use in teeth fillings?  I prefer a combination of medical and natural / homeopathic treatments, knowing it is always a bit of trial and error to find what works as everyone is different. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.