Does Propranolol stop you from being active?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I take 1 x 40g propranolol when I need it usually every 2 to 3 days but wondered if it would be more benificial to take one at the same time each day to help my anxiety regardless of having a fast hr or not. Also when you are doing some activity which would normally elevate your hr,  

does the propranolol allow your heart to go faster then?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Karoline

This is NOT in response to my question.

I think you shoukd start again and post your own question to get relative replies

• Posted

Sorry rosemary but this is a new discussion which I started half an hour ago and I didn't reply to your question so not sure what has happened here
    • Posted

Sorry Karoline,

My apologies, I thought I was only getting notification in response to the question I asked.

Hope all goes well for you x

• Posted

take the propranolol same time each day in the morning so your body gets used to it! The heart normally slows down and regulates the palpitations and anxiousness.. You would notice the difference without it!
    • Posted

no propranolol does not stop you from being active .. Although it relative depends what you mean by active?
    • Posted

Thank you Dawnregina. Feel a bit silly asking but my mind goes blank when I go to the doctors. Will probably take one daily from now on.
  • Posted

Dear Karoline,

I take propanolol 40g twice a day, mainly for migraine. I asked my GP this week about exercise, as I swim and do Zumba classes. I wondered if it would put a strain on my heart as it slows your blood flow/pulse. She said not to worry, that it would actually protect my heart, especially as I have a dodgy mitral valve. Obviously I'm not talking about running the marathon or doing high impact exercise.

However, if you are young and fit, I would try to limit how much you take it. Exercise is one of the best things for anxiety and if you can step up how much you do, it might help your anxiety more than the propanolol. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Helen. Thank you for your reply.I am in my 50's and I  have a heart murmur. I saw the cardiologist this week after a referral from a locum GP who saw me a couple of months ago when I ended up in A and E with a fast hr.  but the cardiologist didn't seem too concerned about it.  He told me that it was a possible narrowing of the heart valve and we all have to die from something!!!  I had  a heart scan 20 months ago which is when my anxiety really started from though I have had panic attacks for over 30 years.The scan showed nothing significant and have also had normal EGCs though usually with a fast hr of 100bpm as I get very wound up with all these tests I've been taking Propranolol for the last 2 months when i need it.
  • Posted

I was taking 80mg slow release propranolol, once a day in the mornings.  I found that I was ok with pottering around the house or garden but when I tried anything beyond a geriatric amble, I got chest pain and breathlessness.  So I would say, at least for me, 80mg a day does affect your exercising heart rate.  I am now taking a 10mg tablet 4 times a day and it is fine, I can now walk briskly, etc.  I take an extra tablet in times of high anxiety and ta seems to work well, too.  I think tis is all about listening to your body and experimentng to see what works for you, if you can.
    • Posted

I was doing some gardening today and anxiety started to kick in. Took 40g propranolol tablet (can have up to 3 a day but never felt the need to), and then came on here. Done some housework this afternoon and not felt too bad but don't like to keep checking my hr as that makes me more anxious. Everything seems to be a vicious circle at the moment
    • Posted

Anxiety really because I'm worried about my heart murmur but the Cardio isn't too concerned about it.
    • Posted

Do you get ANY physical symptoms from your anxiety.? I.E. Flushing, chills. Butterflies in tummy, arms or legs feeling weak, woozy head,?
    • Posted

What else do you get?

Do you find the propranolol calms the physical symptoms down though?

• Posted

It slows my hr down but I can still feel anxious. My main problems is gastric when i feel tight below my ribcage and can't eat big meals. Reflux too with a silly little cough. For a week I felt a vibration on and off all day in my left boob and went to the doctors but it wasn't my own DR and he was newly qualified so didn't know what it was but haven't had it since.  Usually feel my best in the mornings but as the day goes on the anxiety builds up and brain starts working overtime wondering what each symptom means. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.