Does Sertraline affect periods?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I started out on 50mg of Sertraline about 15 weeks ago, ive been fine on them. But my anxiety was bad again and ended up having time off work and upping my dosage to 100mg! Only been taking these less than a week but i am 10 days late for my perid and ive had 3 negative pregnancy tests! Wondering if its the Sertraline affecting it or maybe all the stress and anxiety im going through?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes it affected mine was late and also would spot which was very unlike me also they do increase your anxiety so that will be why you've felt increase in anxiety it happend every time I upped dosage too just the body prob trying to adapt to them...

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! My periods were fine when i started the 50mg but over the last 3 weeks ive been really bad hence the higher dosage! Just puts you about abit being in the unknown! Did another pregnancy test this morning to be sure and another negative! I have booked the doctors and i will see whats what smile
  • Posted

Hi I'm on sertraline I've been okay. it could be anxiety and stress could be affecting your periods anxiety and stress can affect your body. They told me anxiety and stress is building up in my body they asked me if I had a trauma in my life because I get worse in the evening for no reason even night the same

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! Sorry to hear that sad yes my anxiety gets worse at night as well! I have an 'impending doom' feeling when night time comes around but my stress levels have been on a different level recently! Did another pregnancy test this morning and it was another negative so ive booked the doctors and i'll have to see what they say!

• Posted

Antidepressants certainly interfere with a woman's menstrual cycle. Some women taking antidepressants may experience side effects and changes in their monthly cycle or menstrual period.

Prescribed antidepressants may also help women cope with psychological, emotional and behavioral problems related to reproductive events, such as menstruation.

Conclusion: `Most likely Sertraline that is the offender, if the problem persists - see your GP!

All the best,  

Play Safe ... 

• Posted

Hi, I've just started as well. Do you still have problem with ur period, mines is now 8 days late

• Posted

Mine's never been more than a few days early or late since being on Sertraline for the last year. Maybe get a pregnancy test just in case. I hope you do well on the Sertraline feel free to message smile

• Posted

I've recently started it too. Been on sertraline for about a month and a half now, and this period is like a week late too. I was doing some research because I know for a fact I can't be pregnant! A few different websites said one of the side affects can be late or absent periods. It's part of your body getting used to the hormones change. I totally get the fear but it's ok, talk to your doctor probably but not something to be scared about. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.