Does she take sugar?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am fuming! Why do people assume that poor breathing equals no intelligence? I visited my local hospital last week and must have looked a bit blue when I struggled in. A woman came forward and offered to take me to the correct department in a wheeled chair, which I gratefully accepted. However, when we got there and I tried to stand she pushed me back into the chair and said she would go give in my name etc. I said that was not necessary, thanked her and tried again to get out of the chair. I was pushed back down and she hurried across to let them know I had arrived. However, when she got there she realised she had not taken my details (which of us is short of intelligence?). She came back and I stood and said thanks, I'll manage from here. She shouted across the waiting room that \"the lady was trying to walk\" and then asked me my name again. Feeling bolshie I replied \"Minnie Mouse\". Honestly, she looked at me as though I had completely lost my marbles (maybe I have) but I am quite able to speak and book myself in. I was reminded of this today when I received a response to a letter of complaint to the same hospital (No, I am not a serial complainer and it's the first I have made) but they have a new display screen where we now have to log in and it displayed my name, date of birth, home address and mobile telephone number in a large font, clearly visible to those waiting to log in behind me. The reply says this is to help me, thanks me for my feedback and suggests I contact a group of people who represent \"the disabled\", who provide comments to the hospital \"in respect of our less able service users\". Is it me?

Jacee

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Jacee, re the display screen, we had one put in at the local health centre just at the start of winter . It stands just inside the entrance doors in the vestibule area which then leads on through another set of doors to the reception desk / waiting room. I thought it was great, especially as I had gone blank as to which Doc I was booked to see and it gave me the info once I had given required details -- but Isaac was with me and quickly pointed out that I needed to clean my hands as lots of 'flu, cold and other bugs were probably thriving on screen from previous users. Nor was there any anti-bac hand gel available unless you went to the reception desk. I do carry a small bottle of it with me but we still went to the desk to point out the oversight -- bearing in mind that it was the height of the swine flu scare it was pretty bad on their part. Van
  • Posted

Hi Van

I know the one you mean because my GP has one. However, the one at the hospital displayed many more details and in a very large font. It was not telling me which doctor or department to go to, but asking me to confirm that all the personal details they held on file were correct, by displaying them for all to see. To then have it intimated that I complained because I have little intelligence adds insult to injury. And now you mention it, there was no hand gel there either.

Jacee

• Posted

Jacee, that is so bad having such personal information displayed for anyone to see and make a note of if they wanted to. Doesn't that come under patient confidentiality?

I always take my own hand gel when going to clinic as usually they have run out.

Tessa

• Posted

My opinion is that this does breech patient confidentiality and the Data Protection Act, which I raised in my complaint. However, the reply from the hospital states that they are not in breech of the Disability Discrimination Act. I don't think they read my letter properly at all. :x

Jacee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.