Does shingles cause constipation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Rash has healed , still pain. Rash was just to the left of my navel. From the onset of the rash 3 months ago until now, I've been constipated and majorly distended. Before shingles, I never had these problems. Has anyone else got this problem and what can be done? I don't want to get hooked on laxatives.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

would you mind giving your age group, blister area, any medications or ointments tried. I am a 72 year old male and did have some constipation. I am now past 3 months with PHN. pain on right front stomach and back, still fatigue after exercise (running). Pain (burning and aching) is not as bad as the beginning nightmare, still have pink spots. 
    • Posted

I'm a female in my late 50's...see my original post for location info. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Positively,

Shingles, in itself, does not cause constipation. Inactivity, decrease fiber intake, and/or change of diet certainly can cause constipation. Depending on your age and family history, you should be evaluated by your primary care physician for colon cancer, IBS, etc.

My suggestion is to increase fluid intake, increase fiber intake with fruit and vegetables, and buy wheat bran cold cereal. If you have a bowl daily, that will solve your problem. Others prefer Miralax, (Google generic name,) which adds bulk to stool. It is not a stimulant, and therefore not habit forming. (I prefer to eat food to regulate my gastrointestinal tract. The Kellogg's Wheat Bran Flakes have worked well for me, but generic is cheaper.)

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry! I've always eaten a high fiber diet with lots of vegetables, fruits and whole grains and drink 9 glasses of water daily but since I've had shingles, walking triggers pain in my side.

• Posted

Positively,

I think I have a poorly innervated colon. I have had this issue since birth, literally. The bran cereal, large bowl, or Miralax works wonders. My son and husband call my cereal "Cardboard," but if you are not constipated and bloated, you don't care. It is healthy cereal...

I drink liters and liters of fluids and tons of fruits and vegetables, but need the bran..

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.