Does Simvastatin 40 mg cause memory loss and amnesia?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I am 79 years old and have been on 40 mg simvastatin for 2 or 3 years. Recently I have noticed problems with memory loss and have had several short episodes of transient amnesia. Any connection?

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi John

I've been on 40 mg Simvastatin daily for about 3 years. Over the last 15 months I've had 13 episodes of transient amnesia. I've been referred to two neurologist. They were both puzzled and say that it's not TIA or TGA. My episodes initially were all on waking from sleep but in the last six months have all occurred while awake. They last from a few minutes to half an hour. During an episode I cannot remember who people are, local geography (streets), the day of the week, the time of year, or what I did recently, etc.. On the same days that I have had an amnesia episode, but NOT coincident with it, I have often had one or two episodes in which I feel I am going to pass out. Thiese have occurred after I saw the neurologist. My GP is not interested.

• Posted

your gp won't want to admit that it's the statins causing the memory loss
  • Posted

HI John I have suffered severe memory loss whilst on statins and frightening it is too. This along with muscle/eye headaches etc make me stop taking them every 2 months or so to get myself right again. I have tried every statin in the book but all with the same effect. As we know doctors will never admit to there faults--statins that is--as they get favours from the drug companies for using them on patients. All you can do is stop taking them or as I now do --take one every other day it seems to work,, not perfect but better--and stay off all fat and never touch red meat.
  • Posted

I was on Simvistatin 40 mg for 2 years following my heart operation in 2012, on automatic treatment from my cardiologist.  Protocol for patients having had heart operations.  My LDL was/is not out of range and has been within fully safe limits, but my HDL could be higher.  

My heart operation was NOT cholesterol related, the need for the operation came from other directions, this is straight from the doctors because I asked.  Even in view of that, he said that taking the statins should be done as a preventive measure.  Even dating back to our initial consultation, he has never once made any mention of any side effects, much less some very serious ones listed in the FDA's current advisory posted on their website.

My cardiologist is very convincing and says it is best to be on statin drugs if you've had any heart condition.  I asked him at the time how long, and he said for the rest of my life.  That in itself is a bit shocking, as I don't believe in making my body dependent on ANY drug.

The memory patchiness - being a patchwork quilt with massive blank spots - came up gradually and almost unoticeably over that 2 year period, until finally what I was not being able to remember became unmistakable.  Words I would reach for and not find, names I knew were there but I simply could not recall, no matter how hard I tried.

Once I noticed the memory patchiness had gotten really noticeable on the simvistatin - it's hard to be aware of what it is you are unaware of - I went off the simvistatin and gradually my memory became reliable again, filling in the empty patches and delivering three dimensional life again, which had gone very one dimensional while on the statin.

(Unfortunately one of the drugs on the list that is known to cause that memory patchiness is thyroid supplementation - which I need because my thyroid gland was hit by the Xrays in the radiation therapy in '80, while being treated for Hodgkins Disease.  Now I take 100mcg every day.  Can't stop taking that one.)

Recently during an office visit with my cardiologist I told him about stopping the Simvistatin a year ago and he started me on Atorvastatin 40mg instead, saying Lipitor would have less deleterious effects on memory than Simvistatin.  But the advice I have read from the FDA earlier today says that all statin drugs act alike.  And in the month I have been taking Atorvastatin, I find I am reaching for people's names more now again, like before, and this time I am not allowing it to creep up on me.  I can't help but wonder what it is that should have been occuring to me these days, that is NOT occurring to me because of the blank/blind spots in my memory. Again, what is it that I am supposed to be aware of that I am not aware that I am unaware of?

As of today's FDA advisory reading, I am now worried about my liver, diabetes, and potential muscle damage as well.  "The rest of my life?"  I don't think so.

I will be showing my cardiologist the FDA warning and will probably stop the atorvastatin at the end of the month, unless he presents me with compelling proof that I need it.  Had to do the same thing in the hospital after my heart operation when they were hitting my lungs with searing Atavan and other breathing drugs 4 times a day, burning my throat and IMHO scarring it.  My breathing was just fine!  I rebelled.  When confronted with my demand for proof of the need for such treatment, they went away and came back later, saying it was my choice, I could quit if I wanted. They could not present me with any earthly reason for me to be taking it except that "It's protocol".  So of course I quit it.

Why did they endanger and stress out my delicate breathing apparatus for no good reason?  What would have happened to my lungs if that had continued, 4 times a day, until I was released on the 9th day?  Why don't they find the side effects of these things as important as the POTENTIAL help I would get from keeping my already safe-level cholesterol levels down further???  These side effects were not even MENTIONED by my cardiologist.  Ever.

My chiropractor says our brains are made of fat and need a certain amount of cholesterol to function properly.  I think that, at least in my case, the statin drugs are depriving my brain of that, and making me unaware of things that should be occurring to me naturally.  In which case I consider these drugs not only deleterious, but insidious as well.  Taking it for the rest of my life?  Sorry Charlie.  

Not an option.

• Posted

too many people have too many side effects from these drugs...we can't all be wrong...our body needs cholesterol and anyone who has taken them knows only too well the long term damage they cause...If I had known years ago when I first took them that type 2 diabetes was a side effect...I'd never have taken them...I don't take them any more...I hope your health improves Mr bob...
    • Posted

Mr. Bob,. I have been on 40 mg. Simvastatin for about 10 years. I am a 58 yr. old female and have been having memory problems along with other symptoms. For example:. Using wrong words, searching names and what really hit me in your post is your comment on your one dimensional thinking. That is exactly what I have been experiencing. I have been saying for months now that I have lost my 3 dimensional thinking. I can go to town with a mental plan on places I need to go. I get home and realize I have totally forgot many of the chores I set out to do. I find it very frustrating and worry about what I might forget to do at work. I have had my thyroid checked, sleep study done, MRI of my brain. All within normal except mild sleep apnea. Been using a Cpap for 5 months and no difference. My plan now is to get off Simvastatin after reading your post. I have no coronary artery disease and feel Simvastatin might be over kill. My question for you is after being off the statin drugs for awhile, did your memory issues go away?
    • Posted

Becky -

My memory has never been the best, but yes I am quite sure it's back to where it was before.  Every day or two I remember something from my wayback past, something I had not remembered for years.  Some of these memories are nice and salacious (from my younger adult days), some of them are about family and very important to be in touch with, just on GP.  

To me they are all very highly important, they make me who I am. I would not be myself without those incredible lifelong paths back to my past.

I am quite sure that none of these would have occurred to me if I had not stopped the statins.  In fact I am quite sure that I would be well on my way to Alzheimer's by now.  Check out the increases in dimensia and see if they align with the increase in statin use over the past few years.

The jury is still out on whether we actually need statins for cholesterol control, that cholesterol is really the culprit.  Like you my cholesterol stats were well within normal parameters, like you I was prescribed them just in case.  Not a valid reason to be taking such powerful daily drugs, that keep your body drenched in them 24/7 and wind up causing permanent damage. 

Anyone who chooses to stay on them needs to be taking CoQ10, as statins deplete it and keep it depleted, on a constant basis.

• Posted

Hi John,

i had a quadruple bi pass 3 years last November.

this was due to high cholesterol.

I have been on a number of statins for some years before the operation

I think about 11-13.

they were changed a number of times, the first one I was on was Lipitor,

then I was put on atorvastatin, a low dose, then it was increased to a high

dose, I think 28? Mg, now on Simvastatin 40mg.

i have complained to my wife for over 2 years that I have a lot of pain my knees when walking. I assumed that because I have a torn cartilage in my left knee, I was compensating by putting weight on my right knee.

I have also been feeling very tired and nearly every day I have gone to bed about 2pm. 

I have lost my balance a number of times, but don't know if that is a side effect.

Last week I read an article in the Daily Mail about statins that prompted me to read the leaflet in the tablets. I was shocked to find that I seemed to have a number of these side effects.

I stopped taking them 2 nights ago and the pain in my joints seems to have almost stopped, I did not feel tired yesterday and didn't need to go to bed.

my cholesterol is below 5, but I won't know what the next level will be because of stopping them

• Posted

I got my cholesterol checked over and over again while on them and then off of them and then on them and then off of them again.  They repeatedly depleted my cholesterol by a full 1/3 on the LDL, depriving my brain of the healthy fats it needs to function correctly.  Every time I quit them it came back to normal, thankfully.

Be sure and get your cholesterol checked again once you've been off of them for a month or so.

At the risk of repeating myself, let me repeat something I said above, in case you missed it.

The jury is still out on whether we actually need statins for cholesterol control, that cholesterol is really the culprit in heart issues.  

Anyone who chooses to stay on them needs to be taking CoQ10, as statins deplete it and keep it depleted, on a constant basis.

• Posted

Gerald -

Looks like it's been a year since your reply that I just responded to.  How has it gone?  What has transpired?  How you doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.