Does Sodium Valproate have a licence for use over years in treatment of stable bipolar?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was prescribed sodium valproate from April 2007 to Apil 2014 when I stopped it on reading it causes colon and prostate cancer.  I have suffered from prostate cancer and now it appears also Multiple Myeloma.  These cancers are known to require a trigger to set them going.  The only times I have had a hypomanic incident is May 1974, February 2006 (relapse October 2006 when I stopped taking Lithium to see what would happen.)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry is this lithium your talking about from the beginning ? What's happened since u stopped taking it?

• Posted

Sharon I have been on Lithium non stop from October 2006.  In addition to Lithium I was prescribed sodium valporoate at 750mg/day from April 2007 to April 2014 when I stopped taking it.  The question I would like answered is does/did sodium valproate have a licence to be dipensed over seven years to a patient who was stable and not showing any signs of mania at all?  I believe the sodium valproate was the trigger to the prostate cancer and also the Multiple Myeloma cancers I have suffered from.
    • Posted

Oh my word that's awful.. I hope you get to the bottom of it for your own peace of mind x

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear of your problems.

As far as i am aware of this medication, no!

You should not have been prescribed sodium valporate whilst being stable. In fact, in any state.

I had a psychiattist who tried to get me to take it but after he realised i investigated the pills he was prescribing and deciding for myself it best i not take them, or they made me ill, we fell out and he got very angry and i never went back.

They are not a good drug to go on.

Google them and you will find a world-full of information on them and their side effdcts, both openly and hidden.

Good luck and i hope thing improve.

• Posted

Hi alwaysalone, and thank you.  You saved your life staying clear of Depakote.  I had pressure from two psychiatrists who affirmed it was safe to use alongside Lithium and a drug dependent wife suffering from ME who bullied me into taking it when I was unhappy at doing so.  She will miss out financially as we have few savings, and my prognosis with the type of Myeloma (IgA) I have is not good at an average of 3 to 5 years from time of diagnosis.  I am looking at ways to obtain compensation, but I think as a mental health patient my chances are lessened.  I will be lucky to still be here in 2021 when I am 68.
    • Posted

Hi Myrddin69.

I am sorry to hear what you have told me, and my heart goes out to you.

Like you, i was told everything was good and there would be no ill-effects etc, etc.

I am unable to take certain meds because of coatings or disagreements with my gastro tract, which is why i check all meds prescribed to me in great length before considering taking them. Even then i cross reference them with any meds i do take incase they interact.

The "doctors" who prescribe these poisons to us don't care of the outcome or long, even short term risks. They get paid to throw them at us and the more they throw, the larger their pay.

The drug companies don't care and the governments are even less willing to take blame for allowing the people who vote them in to be poisoned.

For example, a pill named lyrica was tested in the US for years and when it was finally approved for people use, the ingredients were changed and although it was still being prescribed and noted for qualities it no longer possessed, the ingredient that replaced the original made no difference to anything. It was not retested and altho it was put out as the drug they tested, it was a completely different compounded medication altogether. Like depakote, it is poison. No-one cares, and no-one listens to, or believes the problems caused by what they throw at us for extra money (as if they don't already get enough). We are told not to be stupid, laughed at, ignored, or told to take more.

Like yourself, i suffer in different ways from past given medications, and i know we are not alone.

I wish you luck on your quest for compensation, however, as you point out, it may be difficult due to mental health. It's near on impossible at the best of times!

I have recently found out i have a surgical clamp lodged near my left pelvis left in there from an operation in the eearly 90's. I've been quite ill for a lot of years - lower back pain, leg pain, severe abdomen pain, i have a limp, which, according to the many doctors and speciallists, is all from damage to my hip. Damage, i might add, that never occurred! No-one will own the error, and my hospital files have discretely and conveniently disappeared. The medical people around to help us don't care about what they do, or what they prescribe us does to us. I once saw a doctor who i overheard tell another that he would never take the meds he was prescribing a patient. If the meds are no good for them, then why give them to unsuspecting people asking for help and seeking some relief?

I'm sorry i can't help you, if i could i would. I can only wish you the very best and hope they are wrong.

I hope you do get compensation, even tho it in no way makes up for what they have caused and done.

My thoughts will now be with you.

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.