does stopping smoking help noticeably / long term? & what natural preventative positives are there? ( I do know i can't reverse it btw )

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

I have recently been diagnosed with COPD.

I do know i can not run from it , deny it or cure it ... so instead as its the on set and early days

I want to take my ancient old lungs (or so my first lot of tests showed, i'm half the age of my lungs rolleyes apparently ) and whip this COPD to as far in my future as i can hound it !!! I'd like to enjoy breathing through the good & bad times as best & naturally as i possibly can ( i have not taken the funny capsule spirval stuff they have given me yet ;

i am hopeful to improve by stopping smoking . Though it would be a great incentive, to know from others if it actually makes a difference, especially when i think of all the car pollution and stuff in every day life or work ( ie; chemical residue ) that i CAN'T stop going into my lungs.

I was quitting of my own accord anyways and down to 9 by christmas , then 3, and now 1/half a rolled cig of an occasional evening ( i was using an e-cig initially ; until i found via a friend who has angina that they can worsen the chest & no articles or facts appear really sure whats in the vapours & i'm so low on smokes/ nicotine now that nicotine replacement therapy is just to high for me and sets of palbataions so i am heading for cutting out the last little bit cold turkey instead. lol ( besides cold turkey has highest long term success rate so the statistics i have found so far indicate )

This month has been one from hell for me, as my young teenage daughter is having a terrible time with her own ( emotional) issues that had her in hospital earlier his month, lots of other stuff going on ......So now the diagnosis of this is very slowly sinking in....

i guess i need to address it & embrace the fact COPD will be in my journey for the rest of my life so i would like to make it comfortable and take it on one hell of a ride wink IF thats possible ?

I think asides introducing myself ; i am just looking to see if there are others that have had this condition for a while, who know first hand if it's possible to be pro-active for improvements especially natural improvements or prevention's. smile

Please, I am looking for as much POSITIVE advice as i can find, as it seems i am lucky enough to have caught this relatively early,

Many thanks. M

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Well done melk on stopping smoking you dont say how old you are keeping your lungs as clear as possible is important walking swimming if you take it slow breathing exercises taking your meds correctly will all make a difference ask your dr about breathing clinics or physio to help keep your lungs clear as possible first sign of chest infection see your gp as soon as possible if you cough up green or brown phlegm you have infection lots of information on this site I wish you well
  • Posted

I've had this thing for 6 or 7 years (as did my mother, father and grandfather, so I knew it was in the post) I gave up smoking after a stay in hospital soon after my diagnosis. I fell off the wagon a couple of times for a few months since then and they were my greatest regrets. After 4 or 5 days the breathlessness doubles, and hills become mountains and I never quite returned to where I was pre-smoking. That's what you shouldn't do! What you should do is to get on a Pulmonary Rehab. course. That made a massive difference to my health and mental well-being, because it is not only about building up muscles and stamina, it's about education and positive thinking with people in the same position as you. The third comment is about healthy eating, I haven't quite got a handle on that one yet. The weight slides off without me noticing.
  • Posted

Hi Melk

You probaby can't do much for pollution at work but you can help a lot by stopping smoking. Smoking ages the lungs on "healthy" lungs it degrdes copd lungs even faster. Stop. No choice. I feel I have the lungs I had five years ago now that I have stopped so yeah. it makes a difference all right to stop. abd keep stopped. No wee bargains with yourself , no buts and maybes. just -you can't smoke. ever.

Secondly you can get yourself an air purifier for the home, but get a good one. That is one that screens out harmful particles to 0.03 micrograms per cubic foot of air. There is only one. That is the IQ AIR Health Pro. It costs £900 in uk money. It is a lot but I got one and it helps hugely to hoover up. Particularly now ther is a trendy penchant for people to start burning wood on wood stoves. I long for the day this practice in residential areas becomes passe. Pleae don't buy cheaper purifiers as they only lift out particles up to 0.3 micrograms and you many as well just wear a smog mask indoors for that. Google IQ Air. I'm retired and don't have any affiliation with any company whatsoever.

Thirdly get a finger oximetre and measure you blood sat levels yourself. These oximetres are cheap.

• Posted

That seems like good advice. I have been up and down since a dose of pneumonia in November. Eventually my doctor got sick of my face and admitted me to hospital. 4 or 5 days and I was tickidy boo again. A few days at home and I'm feeling wheezy again. I've sent the dog on holiday, changed feather duvet for man made, banned smelly candles and looking for natural alternatives for cleaning products. I did start using an air purifier, but it was a cheapo and suspected it was just good for running up the electricity bill and making an irritating noise. I wonder if it is possible to rent the one you suggest on a trial run. I might treat myself to an oximetre, although I'm wondering whether knowing when my sats. are bad might have a detrimental effect on my positive attitude?
  • Posted

unfortunately you can't rent the iq air, or at least I haven't found any site that allows this. The oximetre is good for finding out if your regime is working. You have had the real bad news with the diagnosis already and you are coping. Or you would not b looking for ways to ameliorate your condiiton. The oximetre is good for a wee look every two weeks or so. It can be useful to show the log to your doctor if he /she is looking"fed up" with you in the surgery. Remember the oximetre will fluctuate but it can be reassuring to find out whther a bout of breathlessness is "panic" or maybe something the doctor could investiage.
  • Posted

HI Melk

I've had this for nearly three years and had stopped smoking ten years ago. You know that you have to stop completely and l know it isn't easy but it will make a difference. Make sure you have a flu jab and a pneumo one as the main thing is to avoid getting chest infections. Avoid anyone with a cold if you can and if possible very cold weather. My breathing is better in summer than winter but very hot weather doesn't suit me. We're all different so what affects me will be different for you. Take the Spiriva, l've been on it for about four months now with serevent and it has really made a difference. Think its a bit of a wonder drug, the difference it made.!!!

Good Luck

Margaret

• Posted

to be positive for a moment the chap across the street from me got emphysema (they didjn't call it copd in these days) He lived for 25 years with the diagnosis and passed away at the age of 84. He would have went on forlonger if he had given up smoking but rightup to the last year he would have "one or two" - read (about ten!"His daughters were demented with him, but he didn't blame the smokes, he blamed the hot sand he sucked up when he was in the military in the desert.

My sister died at the age of 54 and never smoked or drank to excess in her entire life. I never saw her tipsy once. She was a nurse and had cancer. Sometimes what is for us won't go by us, unfortunately, so wringing our hands and blaming our life choices won't get us anywhere.

What to do is to decide to help ourselves and passionatley, pasionately mean it.

• Posted

lots of good advice there for you to follow

Spiriva is your friend, I have been on it for years and it helps

stop smoking now, this 'I only have one now and again' lark doesn't work

eat well, it's important and drink lots of fluids. My nurse told me that the most likely thing that would put me in hospital would be dehydration. that's because I am 77 and have severe COPD. I am on an oxygen machine most of the time and in a wheelchair when I go out, which is not in winter. However i have had it for years and still enjoy life. I can make my own meals, handle the bathroom and get upstairs to bed still, those are the main things for me.

Learn the excercises proper to lungs, probably in group therapy with physio instruction is best. Go to the clinics regulary to check up on progress so that they know if you are on the right dosage of medication.

Don't get despondent. Stress is a killer - remember to laugh, it is the best medicine. You can keep the 'thing' at it's status quo for years.good luck. June

• Posted

wow ; Thank you all so much for your replies. :D

I had been feeling a bit of a low ebb with trudging about in the awful weather this morning and all your positive comments have helped loads .Especially your reminder to laugh , thanks June :D

I am 43 Eileen, and only in early stages There's loads of good advice and things to remember, i will find out about the clinics ; a lot you said rang true for me actually pete. ( especially the excuses with quitting ..)

Margret the Spiriva has been prescribed , however i'm a bit dubious of it ( i do not take inhalers "well" and if i have to stop putting nicotine in my lungs, i'm not sure i want to put any thing else in... unless i really really really have to ; however theres been lots of times i had what the professionals called panic attacks I thought i lacked oxygen before ( i thought it was asthma related) It is nice to know though the doctor has started by prescribing what seems to be the best, but to be on it for ever is an awfully long time.

Christine i will look into an oximeter ; though i am really not sure what that is , and the clinic's / pulmonary rehab & diet .

I am over whelmed at how lovely you have all been, and will take all advice on board, as i come to get a grip on this diagnosis and thank you. June I think you're message really shows even when COPD is advanced there's still much to be happy about, and that can be done, and thats amazingly inspiring thank you. smile

M.

• Posted

Thanks June, I had never thought about fluid intake. I'll keep it in mind.
  • Posted

43 is young. your target is to make it to being 73. This is way not unrealistic. A lot of people - ( my dad for example a non smoker, died at the age of 46 due to a heart attacke ( he had turbercolis in the army in malaya ( incidentally my mum got a war widows pension- thanks to the british legion) - anyhoo - all you have to do is to maximise your oyygen intake. No fags. My dad was given six months to live at one time - at 21 years old!.

He didn't give a bugger about it one bit. He just lived and I'm glad he did.

I bet you get to be a great grandparernt.

• Posted

The inhalers really do help they help to widen the bronchi in the lungs which will help to keeo oxygen levels up all of on these mefication all had some doubts and was all a bit scary but you find a big difference try to walk each day keep your heart healthy eat well most important drink plenty non alaholic of course a lot of us drink water or weak friut juceswhen you take your inhaler have a glass of water handy to rinse your mouth get the nurse at the sugery or clinic to teach you how to take your inhaler correctlyif your not sure your still young enough to really help yourself take care be well xx
  • Posted

Another thing melk drinking milk can make thing worse and chocolate I think a lot will agree if I have some can only have a couple of squares I love milk but it realky makes my chest and throat very sticky be well x
  • Posted

I only have powdered milk and I agree about the chocolate, had a bad time at christmas eating too much of it. I drink ginger beer with about 60% hot water and i have Coconut Water with hot water about 50%. don't like tea or coffee and can't drink cold water.

I couldn't do without my Oximeter but then I am quite poorly, it tells me when to walk or sit still. Being happy is the main thing, depression is really bad. So I am happy all day long (sounds like a job for the men in white jackets) I am in a site called Jigidi where we can put up our own pictures (8 a day) and they are made into jigsaws for people all over the World to solve. I have made such a lot of friends all over the place in the last few years. also I make my jigsaws in Photoshop so I am busy all day playing with pretty colours, it's something to get out of bed for. All of these things are important. Be positive as much as you can. June

• Posted

Good Afternoon Melk,

As you can see you had so many positive reply, we all support you, so don't worry everything is gonna be all right. Stress doesn't help with anything, does it? It just make things worse, so relax smile

Well, my father has COPD, he is 57, an he has been smoking for 30 years. I though maybe his story can inspire you to try the salt therapy. Unfortunately, COPD is an irreversible condition, but you can still find a way to live with it. The salt cave been changed my father's life forever! He is much more active now, can walk longer distances. I have been on a few session with him, as I struggled with a bad chest infection. It was really relaxing. You just sit in a comfortable armchair, and breathing the salt air inside your respiratory system. As the lady explained to us, it help to break up and get rid of the excess mucus, and stop the inflation inside the tube. We visited the Tunbridge Wells branch, but as far as I know they have 4 other branches as well. The first session is free, I think you should try it. It really helped with us.

All the best and good luck!! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.