Does Symbicort worsen the shortness of breath?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have bronchiectasis.

My doctor prescribed Symbicort inhaler, due to fact that my insurance won't cover Dulera (I started taking Dulera before the Symbicort), greatly improved my condition), now my insurance won't cover Dulera.  I am in the process of an appeal with the insurance.

Since taking Symbicort, about 3 weeks, my condition has worsen to the point of having shortness of breath all the time.

Does anyone else that has started taking Symbicort have worsening side effects?

Thanks, Beth

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No problems for me. Been taking 2x2 puffs of Symbicort for over 3 years. Not actually recommended now for those with bronchX and no accompanying asthma/COPD on one reference I saw (probably via 'Patient'wink recently*, but whenever I drop it out experimentally I can feel a slight adverse change over time. Gonna discuss that with my pulmonology people next time I'm back in the UK for review.

*I don't think it ever was a standard issue for bronchX sole diagnoses; it was originally given to me by a Thai pulmo at a stage when my diagnosis for mucus over-production and infections had not been fully diagnosed just as a generic breathing aid.

• Posted

some glitch in 'Patient's programming converts a quotation mark followed by a closing parenthisis into a smiley! Noticed that before. 

• Posted

Hiya Beth,

I have been on Symbicort since I got BX ( 4 Yeras Now) but no side effects from it at all but if I do seem to get shortness of breath,I add the Albuterol Sulfate to my daily regiment, So I Nebulize Sodium Chloridie first to break up the Mucus then do the Albuterol 0.083% if I feel I need it,haven't now for months's and do Symbicort. Note that I'm still taking AZ now for over a year that has made a big difference in everything along with all the alternative stuff  we all have mentioned on this site,so we know it won't go away we just have to control it so that is what is working for me.

• Posted

Side note Beth remember reading on the Data sheet on the Symbicort that it takes weeks for this stuff to get going so maybe the cross over fromDulera is what may be causing the shortness of breath now if so give it some time to adjust in your system.

And doing the Albuterol may help the Transition.

Best,

Charlie

• Posted

Charles,

Thanks for your input.  I have been using Symbicort for 3 weeks. Do you think that is long enough? It seems that I'm getting alittle worse each day.

Beth

• Posted

Beth, I would say yes 3 weeks should show some improvement not worse,do you use a nebelizer ? If so I would try what I said,or like always talk to the Doc.
    • Posted

Charles,

I use a nebulizer, now 3 times a day with Albuterol, I also have a rescue inhaler, Ventolin, I use as needed. When I was on Dulera, I never needed my rescue inhaler and used my nebulizer 2 times per day for maintance. I also use sodium chloride one a day in the nebulizer.

My doctor's office is filing the appeal to my insurance to see if I will get coverage. If not, another person on this website gave me a website to go to get Dulera from Canada, price not the best but within reason and cheaper than paying full price here in the states. So that's my second option.

Thank you for your response. God bless this forum, if anyone has a concern or question, this is the place to find advice and answers.

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.