Does taking statins benefit a 73 years of age male

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 73 year old male and have been taking statins for more than 20 years. This has been preventative not due to a medical condition

should I keep taking statins?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It would be a good idea to discuss the issue with your doctor.

Anyway, as for as I know, there is no even one research where it would be tested how useful it is to take statins after 70.

• Posted

thank you Roverr

I discussed this with my GP last Monday and this is what is making me research the issue. His view is that statins are not benefitting me but has left me to make the decision!

• Posted

I am very glad to hear that my thoughts coincide with the opinion of a professional. 😃

It seems to me that now I have the right to express myself more definitely.

Have a look at following article for example:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/795139/statins-heart-professor-no-heart-deaths-risk-effect

From the article:

"He told a conference in Brazil this month that the drugs should only be considered for patients who have had a heart attack and never for a child, woman or patient over 62 years old, as there was no evidence it could benefit them."

And one more article from rather respectable source (WebMD):

https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20170522/study-casts-doubt-on-need-for-statins-in-the-healthy-old#1

From the article:

"MONDAY, May 22, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Senior citizens with no history of heart problems appear to gain no health benefit from cholesterol-lowering statin drugs, a new study suggests."

Of course I don't know your personal situation, health status, results of analyzes etc., and I am not a doctor at last, but if I were you, I would trust you GP.

• Posted

It horrifies me that you have been on them for 20 years just as a preventative measure! I was on Atoravastatin and it does say in the packet that they are not suitable for people over 70. I was only on them for two weeks and the damage they did in that short time was frightening.

• Posted

Hi davidft - you haven't mentioned any side effects or deterioration over that long period of statins. If you do decide to ditch them, do it gently and keep an eye out for any issues.

• Posted

Similar to you (I am in my 70's) the prescription for statins only occurred after my third TIA,.

Having taken them for over 8 years, i have my doubts in continuing their use

However, my GP, who is also a personal friend keeps telling me that i should continue

I find it hard when I am waking up at night with horrific cramps in my legs

I have a further appointment this month and i am telling him that i am leaving them off for a period to see if there is any benefit

i will let you know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.