Does taping the bottom of the foot help to relieve pain of plantar fasciitis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am resting as much as possible,doing stretching, icing,orthotics etc.

I want to start some gentle walking and thought about tape.Has anyone tried it?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes it helped, and I found I needed to re tape half way through the day. I think my weight made it loose as I walked.

I know some people have bought planter f socks but I have thick ankles so I have not bothered.

• Posted

That's great to get such a quick response.Thankyou. How did you know the correct technique for doing it?

• Posted

Yes taping helped a ton. I bought Rock tape which stays on until I take it off ( days later) I googled how to tape it. I also bought a compression sock which I sleep in and wear around the house
    • Posted

Also when I started having less pain I modified the tape do it was only on the bottom of my foot and I could then wear Sandles to work without people seeing the tape
  • Posted

I've never tried taping, but I did receive the brace from my podiatrist and that has helped me in the morning when the pain was the worse. I sleep with it on and take it off when I wake up. It would normally take 20-30 minutes of limping around the house to loosen my foot. Just throwing that out there as something to look into, I also had a pain shot in my foot a few days ago, it seems to help as well. Good luck

• Posted

Yes - go on the internet and check Low-Dye taping on youtube. You will be able to do it yourself aftyer a while but initially you may need some help. This is not just taping the bottom of your foot, it is more complicated but the taping off loads the stess on to the tape and off the plantar fascia. You can leave the tape on for a few days and it will relieve most of the pain while you are healing. I usually start with a spray which dries the skin and makes it sticky and the put a pourous tape base layer on ( Cover Roll ) - the cover roll can be used as a template so you know how long to cut the rest of the strips. I then used Leukotape torn lengthwise into 3/4 diameter strips and placed them in an x-pattern ( outside around the heel and back to outside - then same procedure on inside around back of heel and back to instep ). Finally wide strips side to side to cover everything up. If you do it right, you will be close to pain free.

Please check my other posts on this site but go to Youtube and learn to do this Low-Dye taping. BTW, I did not find the kineseotape ( stretch tape like you see on some Olympic athletes ) of much use but you might try this - everyone is different and it might help you.

• Posted

I'm gonna look at video later but are you saying can't use tape like Rick tape to do this type of taping ?

• Posted

Rock tape. I wish there was a way to edit
  • Posted

YES!  try it.  I prefer KT tape mostly because i haven't seen rock tape around here.  There are videos on youtube and as another user said, it's all about preferance and what works for you.  it takes a couple of times trying different methods.  I did try using regular medical tape and it doesn't stretch and on the foot doesn't last very long.  A day at most.  The other tapes have a stretch factor allowing them to last a few days.  It sounds like the low-dye taping is what my doctor did to mine.  he created a foot pad too and i wore it for a week.  the first 4 days i didn't feel any better but then it started to heal up. i wish i could figure out how to make one of those.   Consistancy is the key to permant healing i think.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.