Does THA surgery help with slipped discs due to leg length discrepancy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've got one leg some 5 cm shorter than the other.  Ive got spine degenerative disease and three bulging discs as a result.  Ive also worn away my right hip joint due to the asymmetry and after saving up I've managed to get enough together for a private THA.  I;m really excited about getting rid of the incessant pain in my hip, but can anyone tell me if they know from experience whether their back pain whether the back pain I also experience might diminish once my pelvis is straightened, or is there a danger that THA might exacerbate my three slipped discs?  Any advice most gratefully received!

Greg

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Greg. From personal experience only I had my THR 4 months ago before which I had constant back ache due to walking unevenly but as soon as the anaesthetic had worn off after the op my back ache had disappeared. Go for it.
  • Posted

Dear Greg

I'm very sorry to hear that following your hip replacement surgery you have a five cm leg length difference. In my opinion that is a huge amount and unless there is something we do not know about that is responsible for the difference it strongly suggests that the surgeon was very incompetent as the leg length difference should have been insignificant.

Yes a difference like this will cause you to walk extremely badly and I'm not surprised that you are having back pains!

Please make sure that the next surgeon you go to really does have good experience in the surgery and that the hospital records back this up.

Can you tell us the name of your previous surgeon and the hospital he works at please. This might just save someone else suffering the same fate.

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard. The way I read it is that Greg has not yet had a THR and is asking if it will solve his back pain problem.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply buddy but the leg discrepancy is an existing condition which will be corrected at surgery. wink
    • Posted

Ah apologies Greg and good luck with the surgery. Cheers Richard
    • Posted

I have a 4cms leg discrepancy due to a THR 3 months ago, I had it done in France, I researched my surgeon but I am almost sure he didn’t do my op unless he can be in 2 places at once. It has left me with terrible back pain. He said it may improve, I don’t know how as I can see from the X-rays my prosthetic is a lot higher than my other hip. My surgeon couldn’t care less and I have been left to struggle on my own. I will wait a few more months to see if it improves then start to make a fuss.  
  • Posted

Like you I had a leg length discrepancy due to my pelvis being unlevel because of the state of my spine. I was in constant pain only made bearable by using very strong painkillers.

I had my RTHR 18 months ago with amazing results.

My pelvis is straight so my legs are the same length, I'm totally off all medication and I have no pain in either my hip or back. For me the best part is that is that I'm now able to ride my horse painfree and more effectively as I'm sitting straight.

Good luck with your op.

• Posted

I can’t wait!  Thanks for yr post!   So encouraging x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.