Does that ever go away!!!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hiya again, I have been on here before asking if this gets better.

I have had this now for a month and a half when i rest up I feel slightly better but if I work or even move to much the pain returns in my shoulder and under my arm and breast area.

I am right handed and all my pain is too the left at this moment I'm leaning against a soft pillow having taken cododymol for the pain which hasn't eased.

The big question is will this pain leave me as it is getting me down as I've had continuous pain for six weeks.

Many Thanks in advance......Heather x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Dear Heather,  I feel for you.  Take care of yourself - that is most important.  It is a very bad situation, but yes, you will get over it.  You should have been put on anti-viral medications early on - that would have helped you.  Once you are healed, see if you can get the shingles vaccination.  (I have had shingles twice.)  Maybe you need to go back to the doctor.  I wish you the best and hopefully you have a support group around you to help you - with both the physical and emotional tole this takes on a person.  I'll keep you in my thoughts.  

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me. I was given the anti vitals before the rash appeared but alas the bugger of a rash appeared and as stated still in pain even though the rash is fading.

Thanks for your kind words. xx

• Posted

That's the million dollar question. Are you also on something like Gabapentin (Neurontin) or Lyrica? Those can block the nerve pain signals and help quite a bit, along with pain creams with Lidocaine. Your drug is meant to be strictly for pain and may or may not work well on nerve pain.  Also, try to avoid anything that increases the pain. Honestly. The longer you can feel pain-free-ish, the better it is for the nerves, your mood and your recovery. I KNOW that's not possible, but try and adjust certain activities if you can. Also talk to your doctor about adjusting the meds or as I said, adding to them. Not all doctors are familiar wtih treating shingles.

The next part is about it going away. Usually, at about the 8 week mark most people are much better, or it's even cleared up. If you're not, you may be getting into the PHN situation. That's Post Herpetic Neuralgia, which means that after the main shingles out-break, the nerves have some degree of damage. How much the pain improves or can go away varies. I'm much better than I was previously, but I'm 9 months out from my shingles. The improvement and pain decrease at this phase is slight and slow, but there IS an improvement. I hope you do not have PHN. I'll be honest, it's very upsetting to realize you do--I was in denial for a while, then suddenly realized it after 3 months (yeah, denial is a pretty strong thing).

If you wish, look up more about PHN, but try not to get too discouraged. There's a WIDE range of pain levels and recoveries. I had two friends that had it, but at about 12-13 months had almost totally recovered. Others have quite a high level of pain for a long time.

No matter what, learning how to deal with the pain, how to refocus and adjust to this situation will make a big difference in your outlook. It's not all sunshine and balloons, believe me, I know but there is help. Try looking at the thread in PHN titled "PHN with Depression?" There's a lot of good info there from Charlie.

• Posted

You have a lot of very good points in your message.  The most important, I believe, is to take care of yourself as best as you can.  Get rest - that usually means giving up some things, for the time being.  
    • Posted

Pmmb, those are very wise words I have to remember "giving up some things, for the time being.

• Posted

Many Thanks again.

I need to work as previously to getting shingles I was off work for three weeks and then this at the back of that, you know what it's like now days you can be replaced so easily.

This is pain that I haven't experienced before, it lasts hours after taking pain medication.

• Posted

Hi Heather,

I feel much the same as you do. I got shingles Nov 2016. Now, after the rash has long gonve, my pain has settled in my left upper shoulder, under my left arm and on top of my left breast. After my shingles went away, I developed PHN. Like Babs, I was in denial about having chronic nerve pain, but slowly came to accept it. But, I have discovered that my nerve pain changes. Sometimes, it is very bad and sometimes it seems much better.

I am certainly better, overall, than I was six months ago. So, slowly my energy is coming back and my pain is very slowly decreasing. But, as I said, somedays my pain seems worse than others. The main thing that makes my shingles pain worse is STRESS and ANXIETY. Ironically, those are two side effects of shingles. So, be alert to trying to stop your stress and anxiety and get a lot rest and sleep--these are the best weapons to fight shingles nerve pain. Good luck to you and all of us in our struggle to regain our lives and lessen our nerve pain! 

• Posted

Many Thanks for your reply.

I have long term mental health issues ..Depression and anxiety, so as you can imagine that trying to calm down is hard.

My problem is that I have reasonable pain until I do any kind of movement and i need to work both for financial and I don't want to lose my job, as at the age of 54, jobs are few and far between.

Once again Thank You ......

• Posted

Hi Heather29740.I'm starting to see the end of the pain after 3 months..I've started to reduce the Pregabelin and the Tramadol,both of which made me quite woozy.I'm doing it very slowly though because,one always should reduce slowly and I can always go back up if I need to.I'm sleeping a lot- and feel better every time I wake after a long one.Previously,pain would either keep me awake or wake me up.)i had shingles all around my left side from spine to breast front.It had me whimpering many times.It's so easy to take more than one should.The Pregabalin has been a lifesaver and I think I'm over the worst of it.L-Lysine has helped gréatly,but I have to chew them,as they're so big.X Beth

• Posted

So very glad to hear you are feeling better!  It's good to hear you sound like you are taking care of yourself too.  Excellent!  Blessings for your road to recovery.  I continue to think of you.  Paula

• Posted

Thank you Paula.I think I'm over the pain bit and into the intense itching,which is far preferable,as most of us would like to think.(sometimes it gets a bit "Jungle Book"-ish ,but I'm on my own most of the time,so what the heck)The itching is like the pain-not quite like anything I've ever had before.It can cause bruising just to simply scratch. But hey,I know I'm getting better.Still on the nerve meds and pain meds .Reducing VERY gradually.I cannot imagine having this recur  at the same level as before,as you have had.How did you cope with that.? I think the onset would drive me bananas,knowing what was coming.I feel for you,Paula.And I'm in awe of your willingness to help everybody else through this horrible condition.But very glad you do.

X Beth

• Posted

Had a worst case version of this terrible disease.  Someone was kind enough to get me a copy of Alan Novarc's book on shingles.  Significant improvement after about 2 days.  My question is: why didn't my doctor have these answers?

• Posted

Dear Heather, Sorry to hear of the pain you have endured. Post neuralgia pain isn't fun. I see someone has already recommended you go back to the dr and he could possibly put you on Gabapentin or Lyrica. These meds may help somewhat with the pain, but please be careful of the side effects. I don't know your age, but they can make you unbalanced and put you at a fall risk and also make you forgetful. Taking a low dose of amitriptyline could possibly help with pain and depression. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Susan and Heather, the meds comment was probably from me about a month ago. I do agree with the difficult side effects of both those drugs. I'm dealing with tapering off my Gab and wish I had been on a lower dose. But I was miserable doing everything I could to decrease the pain and the Gab did help. If amitriptyline helps, I say go for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.