Does the brain adapt after an eye injury?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a bad accident last month. I tripped while carrying a heavy tray of food and glasses. Went flying, the tray landed on the marble floor before I did, and the broken glass Entered my Eye  and slashed into my face. Doctors did a five hour operation to save the eye, and told me that the retina have been severed in several places. I now have minimal vision in that I, just shadows, shapes and light. The day of the accident the doctors assured me that in time the brain takes over and compensates for the bad eye and that your vision goes almost back to normal. Has anyone had experience with this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Diana, I'm so sorry about your accident. I also had a traumatic eye injury about 4 months ago, and have very limited vision in my eye as a result. What I have learned is that the eye heals slowly and your brain will adjust to the lack of vision in one eye. I started to sense that about 6 weeks after my injury. Be patient and allow yourself the time to rest as you need it - this will help your body heal.

• Posted

Dear Lookingforward

Thank you so much for your reply. It was very reassuring  and encouraging. I am definitely  getting the impression from various sources that it’s a process and takes quite a while. I’m sorry about your accident too.   I am sure you are right about getting plenty of rest in order to heal.  I hope you continue to get better and I’d love to hear about your

continuing experiences.  Onward and upward!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.