Does the cold and damp weather affect the bones, particularly after ORIF?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a triple ankle fracture and ORIF in March 2018. By mid July I recovered enough to be able to walk 7 miles. In August I was allowed to fly and spent a few weeks travelling, returning to.England last week. During my time away my ankle did swell up in.the evenings but otherwise did.not usually bother me. I should add that the countries I was in had warm/hot and dry climate. Now back in cold and wet UK; my ankle constantly swells up and is very painful even when I do not walk much. I think.that this is because of damp and cold weather. I would very much like to.know if those of you with similar ankle fractures have experienced similar reaction to cold and damp weather ?&

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes it does affect your ankle. Had the same thing on my ankle I got two plates 18 screws broke my ankle two different places. If I was playing professional !! This would be a ending career!!! We got change in the weather over here supposed to be thunderstorm in and yet yes my foot really aches!! I can't imagine when winter comes!!!

• Posted

Yes. I definitely think the weather causes our injuries to flair up. I definitely feel different when it's raining and damp. Granted the worst time for me is at night. At night; I usually feel horrible although I felt good in the AM. 

And my sister's boyfriend - who also had the ORIF - lives in Missouri. He said the cold weather made his ankle - and the metal inside it almost unbearable. On some days the pain was horrible. 

• Posted

I wondered if the metal might get cold inside and cause this. 
  • Posted

Dear Anna

Excellent progress! Have you tried ice on your ankle? Iced Ace bandages work well normally.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I've heard that keeping your foot and ankle as warm as possilbe (thick, warm socks) helps. I've also read that the first winter after the injury is the worst.  I can't speak from experience.....yet.  

• Posted

Icing your ankle when swollen or uncomfortable is the recognized method. I've never heard it said about keeping ones ankle warm and I've had two total ankle replacements and have been a member of an ankle replacement forum for a number of years.

Cheers Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.