Does the cold weather bring on your fibro?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I did really well all summer. We bought a house and I painted every bit of it myself now that just gives you an idea how well I was. However, in the last 3-4 weeks I'm back to square one. I am actually in bed now after calling in to work sick. I made dinner for 12 people last night for my fathers birthday and boy am I suffering for it now. I hurt all over and as weak as a kitten also. My doctor said people with fibro tend to do better in warmer climates so I think the cold weather is bringing it back. If I had the money I would move to a country that's always hot just so I don't feel like this every day. I'm totally fed up!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yeah the weather makes me feel bad, but also moving house and painting all yourself is stressfu.l you might of over done things that's what I do when i feel good and then over do things. Hope you feel better soon😊

• Posted

I do the same thing! When I feel good, I go like a house on fire! Sometimes I pay for it later, though.
  • Posted

I totally agree the cold weather is certainly make the Fibromyalgia worse I woke up today with cramp in my foot it was agony. Also our circulation is not as good as other people so I am wearing loads of layers to keep warm. Hot baths seem to work really well .
    • Posted

I notice when I sit down, my hands and feet go icy. And I have been having foot cramps a lo the past few months. As I said, a new surprise every day!
  • Posted

I know what's u mean. I was in Spain last week for Halloween with my partner, I hade broken my fibula 4 weeks before it. I was able to go for walks, sleep without meds, have a well need drink (lol). I agree with the heat 100% but I can tell u livin in the north of Ireland my body is not made to be livin here in the winter.

I hope u feel better soon. It's really hard for us.

Rest up,

Seanamarie xx

• Posted

I live In Northern Ireland and it's freezing I have the oil and the solid fuel on and I'm still freezing and have to go to bed with my electric blanket. My other half is cracking up with the heat. He doesn't understand what I'm going through because I have a new complaint every day I don't even understand it. All I know is that I'm sick of this unpredictable illness. Ok I said to myself before the summer that if I could just move in to my new house without my illness holding me back I won't complain. I should be great full but I'm finding it hard to be positive. I'm just so so tired after little tasks. It's only the beginning of the winter and I'm already fed up how am I going to cope till next summer?

• Posted

I completely understand. I'm out of work at the minute because of my broken leg. But the thought of being outside in the cold is just awful. I work in a primary school so a lot of my day is standing in a yard. In 1 way I'm thankful for being of work but the thoughts of the January months is to much. I use my electric blacked all year round but what I do find helps me is my hottub. My parents got me it for my birthday last year and it amazing lol but it's cold goin from the house to the shed.

I have been looking for support groups in the north but havnt found any.

• Posted

Oh, boy, I understand! I retired three years ago after working as a teacher's aide in an elementary school for more than 27 years. One of my duties was playground supervision. The principal wanted outdoor recess unless the wind chill was below zero. (She didn't have to go out all day)! No matter how I bundled up I nearly froze! I got chilblains on my toes every year that were miserable, as I had to go back in every 20 minutes or so to take one class in and bring another out, so I would get too hot! Yikes. I enjoyed the kids for the most part, but sure don't miss that part of it!

• Posted

Morning Victoria;  I think "weather changes in general", make Fibro worse, and not just going into Winter for you guys.   I live in Queensland, Australia, and I find that the Summer heat is FAR worse for me.   As with MS, I am wondering if, due to the fact that you guys, mostly, have Central heating, maybe the cause of your increased symptoms???  I have been told/read that those in Europe with MS, suffer more in Winter.    However, here, I find summer is the worst for me.......my "burning pain" becomes excruciating, and need a lot more care and treatment/s.  I first discovered how "heat" makes my pain worse, was actually in Winter, when I put the Car heater onto my feet while driving, and within minutes, my feet started to "burn", and had this confirmed by my Neurologist at the time. (at this stage they believed I had MS, which has all the same symptoms as Fibro).     Am wondering is this the case for you? Do you have central heating/other means of warming your house? and have it working most of the time?  

?As for catering for 12 people, and doing what you have done, I ask that you try and slow down (take more self-care), as you may find, as I did, that even the stress of moving house, can make our condition deteriorate.....we moved into something smaller 2 years ago, and I have gradually found myself getting worse, to the point that it is a Real effort to even leave the house to go to appointments.   Also, I think that your Dr may be a little wrong in saying "warmer climates" are better for our condition/s, as many of us here fiind Summer and the humidity that comes with our Thunder Storms,  much worse.

?Take care;                                                  Bron

• Posted

Extreme heat or cold can cause your fibro to flare. I have been told it's the barometric pressure that does this not the temperature. But you need to learn your limitations as well. There are days I can unload my dishwasher and be done for the day and others where I can cleanse the whole place with no issue. You have to listen to your body and pace yourself. Hope you feel better.

• Posted

You R not alonee my dear. Last year before being diagnosed I could not get warm for nothing last winter. A concerned friend bought me a fleece lined blanket before Christmas because I was always complaining"I'm freezing!!!". I'm wrapped in it now Along with my new dog of 2 months

(Chihuahua a heat thief lol) It's only 45 degrees outside & I'm already starting to put on layers if clothes. Had house up for sae until last week. was up for sale for a yr. long story but intentions were to move to warmer art of US. Looking & talking to real estate agents etc. Last couple who put bid in house last minute changed their mind after bank wouldn't loan them $$what they needed for house etc'm I'm stuck in MICHIGAN & ANO ATHoER winter. Yuck. So I'll pay more to heat house & buy more warm clothes'. Will for sure move in Sept about then to Clearwater Florida & put house up for sale in May. Tired of always cleaning for house showings all the time. Takes it toll with my fibro. Keep warm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.