Does the distortion due to Epiretinal Membrane (Macular Pucker) mean I shouldn't drive?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had an epiretinal membrane in one eye for about 5 years and haven't driven in that time for a different reason.  I now want to have a refresher course and start driving again, but I'm concerned about the distortion in that eye caused by the membrane.

I see straight lines as somewhat wavy and the image I see in the affected eye is larger than in the normal one because the retina is stretched.  I have difficulty reading text if it's in a grid form.

Has anyone had anything similar and could advise me?  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cheetah I don't have the answer to your question.  I do however have an epiretinal membrane.  I don't have any distortion but I do have a very irritating floater that is worse in brighter light.  When I saw my Consultant at the end of April, he told me that I might want to have a vitrectomy.  I don't know whether this would be appropriate for you & whether you might want to enquire about it before you spend anything on refresher courses etc..

I'll put a link after this post in case it takes time to be approved.

• Posted

I see my Consultant at Moorfields
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your reply and the helpful link.   I was referred to the Royal Hallamshire Hospital (Sheffield) two years ago for a vitrectomy and was then told that, as my vision is reasonable, even with the distortions in the one eye, they wouldn't operate.  I saw another ophthalmologist  this year, because of Ocular Rosacea, and when he saw the scan of my right eye, he said he was amazed I could see as well as I could.  So I don't think a vitrectomy is on the cards.  However, I'm aware that I don't see as well as I should, which has caused the concern about driving.  For example, as a passenger, the distortion means that I can't read road signs until I get quite close.  Thanks again for your help and, if you decide to have it, I hope your vitrectomy goes well.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.