Does the hunger from mirtazapine wear off?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've been on mirtazapine for almost two weeks now. Dosage is 15mg and I have to up it to 30mg eventually. 

But I am EXTREMELY hungry all day long. As if I haven't eaten for a week. I know some people have this side effect and my doctor says it will wear off but I don't seem to find anything online about it wearing off.

Does anyone know if it does and will the hunger increase when I go to 30mg?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Im coming off mitrazapine ive put on 2 stone in 6 months i went from 15mg to 30mg to 45mg but just got bigger n bigger now tapering off n start another tablet soon.
    • Posted

I dont know how it works yes i was defo eating more put on weight so i started slimming world stuck too it n lost a couple of pounds but that was it stuck to it 100% but the weight just wouldn't go down ive reduced from 45mg to 30mg for 10 days feel thinner getting weighed tomorrow xx

• Posted

Hi from what I’ve read from other you can put on a lot of weight as mirtazapine does increase your appetite so be careful as the weight is hard to control 
  • Posted

For me the increased hunger went away after about 3 months. I put on about 4kg in 7 months
  • Posted

Sorry in my experience it doesn’t go away - I went from 13st11 to 16stone over 8 months ! I stopped  cold turkey 6 days ago I’ve lost 7lb!! 

Don’t have any cravings for food - it became insatiable the need for food and heavy carbs 

I know we are all different but in my experience I’m glad I’m off them 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.