Does the menopause affect epilepsy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have begun the menopause recently and have noticed an increase in the amount of attacks I have. Is this because of the menopause?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Raffie,

I'm not a doctor but I am 42 and have been on this runway roller coaster ride for about 7 years. I do know that any previous conditions that you may have had prior to peri menopause or menopause can become worsened by its effect. The sudden plunge and fluctuations of our hormones can trigger so many health conditions. Hope this answers your question.

Take care

• Posted

Hello Raffle, i have just turned 50 and i started with irregular periods for 4 years have them fortnightly and july and august this year i only spotted and havent had anything since so im hoping for them to cease now. But since then i have started with terrible hot flushes and night sweats which keep me awake early hours and im absolutely exhausted. The doc has put me on anti depressants which has helped me very much with my moods and feel calme and no longer anxious or depressed, fingers crossed. What kind of attacks are you experiencing ??
  • Posted

Sorry just read your title epilipsy sorry i wouldnt know about this along with the menopause maybe best to ask your doctor ?
  • Posted

My sister in law actually got epilepsy for the first time ever as she entered menopause so I think there must be a connection x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.