Does the need for BPH meds decreasae after a Urolift?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Guys, I'm sure my questioin, "Does the need for BPH meds decreasae after a Urolift?" has already been answered somewhere on this site.  It's just that I don't know how to search on it.

I've heard it said that the Urolift procedure has the potential to decrease the need for BPH meds.  However, I'd like to hear from my brothers-in-suffering.  I, myself, take generic Avodart ("Dutasteride"wink, and I simply don't want to continue with this ... "therapy." 

Please.  What are your post-procedure experiences with the need to keep taking BPH meds?  Thanks, Alan

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm not an expert  alan but here is how I see it. Urolift pulls back the prostate with "ties". So what you're really doing is compressing the prostate. Seems to me the prostate will continue to grow and make more trouble in the furture. Drugs like fenasteride slow the groth so it may be a good idea to keep taking it. Have you asked your uro?

• Posted

Thanks, brother.  I actually did ask my uro.  As you are well aware, some uros are quick to paint a rosy picture.  I'd rather hear it first hand from the guys on this forum.

• Posted

Hi alan, is dutasteride helping you ? Why are you considering stopping it and have a surgery ? Hank
    • Posted

That is a good question, Hank.  I've been taking dutasteride for nearly seven years, and it may be losing its effectiveness. On the other hand, things could be considerably worse for me, if I gave it up entirely.  The so-called promise of a Urolift is that one can cut back (or possibly eliminate) the need for meds.  I'd rather listen to the guys on here.  The only motivation they have is to help one another, and I appreciate your input.  THANK you.

• Posted

I did not take dutaseride before my urolift procedure.  I did take tamsulosin.  While it helped the nocturnia initially, after a few months my frequency returned.  Also, for me the alpha blocker aspect of the medicine was bad for my physical endurance.  After my procedure in February, I have stopped (with the recommendation of my urologist) the tamsulosin.  So far, so good.  Long term impact?  I'm taking things one day at a time.  Good luck.

• Posted

Your results are encouraging, Mark, and I appreciate it your input.  After much angst, I think I'm going to move forward and have this procedure done.  Your opinion means a lot, so thank you.

• Posted

Alan.  I had the Urolift done 2 years ago had 4 implants.  Never took a pill after it was done.  I was great  week after  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Best news yet, Kenneth.  I can only hope to fare half as well as you did.  Thanks, VERY much.
  • Posted

Sure wished I could answer in the positive. The Urolift did absolutely nothinbg for me but did cause an additional problem. So two steps back and one forward. Still on the same medication plus one.

Good luck!

• Posted

I appreciate your honesty, and I'm taking everyone's opinion into consideration, including yours.  I'm only sorry things didn't go so well for you.  That said, you did have a "minimally invasive" procedure.  My point is that in all likelihood, something better will come along.  The progress in this field seems to have taken an exponential turn for the better.  I do wish you well, my friend, and thank you again, Lester.

• Posted

Great news from Kenneth. Wished I could say the same. No reduction in medication and no change in my condtion after the proceedure. Am now on Dutasteride since about November with no improvement. Also on Alfuzosin before and still. Urolift was a waste for me. Not to mention going through the recovery. Hope you have Kenneth's results if you go through it.

Good luck!

L

• Posted

Lester sorry that it did not work for you Maybe be you need more implants they can put 4 to 8 in.4 worked good for me.  I know chuck had 4 put in the first time  It did not work  Had another 4 put in.  He;s good to go now  Did you talk with your doctor  Also maybe it the bladder not the prostate???  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.