Does the pain spread

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi every body,

I thought i would ask if any body else has had any pain in chest [ breast bone ] shoulders down to wrists, ankles, back of the knees with this condition.

I have had the injections they did not work so now waiting for a Tens to see if this will help, not holding out tho.

But finishing work on Thursday after doing four days in a row which i dont normaly do i was in so much pain and was just wondering if CS would also cause pain in other area's.

Look forward to your replys.

Jackie xx

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It's amazing how many different symptoms there are for this condition. Pains in places you think wouldn't be affected. For years I kept thinking I was going to have a heart attack or something and it turned out I have arthritis in the joints between my ribs and sternum. It sounds like you've overdone things a bit. Hope you're soon on top of it
  • Posted

Dear Nothing to worry about.

Thankyou for your reply yes i would say i did over do it last week which is not the norm and i am still in a lot of pain.

Have just recieved my Tens appointment for next month will see what happens.

Jackie x

• Posted

I hope that the Tens helps you. Don't worry if people say something didn't help them, that doesn't mean it won't help you either. We're all individual and different, that's why there are so many alternatives available. :D
  • Posted

Dear Nothing to worry about

Thankyou for you reply i will let you know how i get on with the Tens.

Reagards Jackie

• Posted

Hi All

I now have extream pain in my arms and hands it seems to have come on really really bad all of a sudden. The pain is so intense that i could sit and cry with it, is this part of the cause with CS.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie 60

Just reading your post about pain in arm and hand. I had this about 2 years ago and it lasted about 4/5 months on and off. I think you should ask your GP to refer you for a neck MRI scan, or at least to a physio who might then refer you, particularly if there is any numbness in hand as well. In the meantime, the only thing that worked for me to relieve the pain was to drape my arm over head, almost touching opposite ear, if you know what I mean, and sleeping sometimes on a sofa also seemed to help. The pain seemed to increase when I lay in bed. Also some nurofen, with food, when considered necessary before sleep. After 4/5 months the pain dissappeared, but I was left with a numb/clumsy hand which I have since gotten used to using. At the time I couldn't even write my name ! I doubt that the time scales are the same for everyone, so it might be possible that the pain, in your case, will disappear sooner. The pain is usually the result of a 'trapped' or obstructed nerve in the neck and it should settle down as your neck adjusts to it. Hope you find this useful.

Gerry

• Posted

Hi Gerry

I have had phsyo and a mri scan i have had injections in the neck which did not work so now waiting for tens which i will recieve in the next couple of weeks.

Went back to the docs who had taken me off anti depressants a month early

told her about my pain else were hand wrists elbows every joint really.

She has since put me back on anti depressants as she claims the more pain the more depressed the more depressed the more pain it's just a vicious circle.

Jackie

• Posted

I'm finding that your last comment is true. Everything about Cervical Spondylosis is a vicious circle. It's important to have really good, undertanding friends around you. I had a steroid injection in my right shoulder on Tuesday evening. And had to take yesterday off. One of my closest friends appeared and took me out for lunch. She was shocked at how zoned out I was from all the pain killers I take, but just going our and eating and then doing a bit of buying frenzy in a local Debenhams outlet sale, with my friend carrying all the goody bags, helped perk me up. We talk a lot about health professionals, but forget the basics. Depression is horrendous, but friends, and family, can help us through the blackest times. smile

I hope you get some easing of the symptoms soon. Lois x

• Posted

Hi

I now have my Tens Machine i am looking forward to see if has any effects at all, i am allowed to keep this for 8 week but i think i will know with in a couple of days if it works or not.

Watch this space

Jackie

• Posted

Hi

Well have had my tens for 3 weeks today, fantastic when i have it switched on as long as i have no head ache or chest pains or my arms ache and wrists as the only thing to shift them are again back to the old pain killers, but as soon as it comes off back to the same old thing.

Had a bit of trouble with the pads they would not stick as soon as the body gets hot they come off so waited for stronger stickey one's to arrive.

So far they have stayed on but again how long for.

Don' t think this is going to be a long term solution i cannot see the point of having this tens and still having to take the pain killers were is the logic in that.

Regards Jackie x

• Posted

It may be that it reduces the amount of pain killers that you have to take, Jackie, which can't be a bad thing. I'm pleased to hear that you're at least having some success with the TENS, it's just a shame that you're half way through your treatment period with it. Sadly, they do tend to only give localised pain relief and, as you've found, our pains don't restrict themselves to one area. Lois x
  • Posted

hi jackie,everything you describe im afraid is part of this awfull condition,i have had cs since i was 34 im now 49 it does not get better i have had more physio than i can stomach i have had tens machines motrim, naproxen amtriptalyne and nothing works you kind of learn to live with it i also have fibromyalgia to go with it lucky me....i think maybe i have a trapped nerves due to the off balances i have .and tingle in the arms neck feet shoulders not good eh i also now have bladder weakness to so i assume my condition is increasingly getting worse my rhuemotologist says unfortunatly it is degeneration of the discs etc,and yes over doing it will cause you problems hunni i also find the cold worsens the condition kee your neck warm! always and try to get a good pillow to help you at night to try save you waking up stiff in the morning,,well hope things improve for you take care kathy.
  • Posted

Hi Jackie. I just wanted to reply to your question about the types of pain you are having.

Each disc/vertebrae in the neck and back, have nerves passing through them. As they wear out, they can cause pressure and nip the nerves, and so cause the, the numbness, tingling, pains all around the areas the nerves supply.

My previous GP has been through all the usual diagnoses, including fibromyalgia in my left arm, a check EEG to check my heart, a visit to the hearing clinic just to rule out ear problems. I learned more about cs at the hearing clinic. Dizziness is caused by the nerves being 'nipped'.

Anyway, basically Cervical Spondylosis is a form of Arthritis.

My recent information is that the top c spine is detiorating as I have bad tingling and numbness in my face, cheeks, mouth and tongue. Regards, Kaytee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.