Does the scar fade with time.

Posted , 14 users are following.

It's only a couple of months since my THR but in the shower I cannot miss seeing my scar in the mirror. At the age of 76 I cannot imagine mine will be on public display too often but for a younger person their scar might seem more important. So I wonder if the scar will fade in time or maybe disappear completely. Is there any proven cream or massage which will help it on its way ??

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

Try rubbing in Bio Oil daily.It does help the appearance of scars.

• Posted

Bio oil will help enormously, along with gentle massage. I intend to be wearing my two piece on a beach somewhere this summer and if anybody is rude enough to comment or stare, I am going to tell them it's a shark bite, see if that will shut them up! Admit I didn't even look at mine for 8 weeks or so due to worrying about disfigurement but had hubby check all was well and clean. It's not looking at all bad now that the muscle is coming back. I do understand that some may worry but it's like a badge, wear with pride.

• Posted

Agree 're bio oil and scars. Does take a bit of time but helps it fade. Like the idea of likening it to a shark bite ( lol ) but agree badge of honour. I'd managed to not be scared for 61 yrs and at the present rate I'm 3 up and counting lol.

• Posted

I'm just over 2 years down the line now. Initially I used bio oil twice a day to massage the scar which helped a lot.

Now it's almost invisible. If you know where to look you can still about 1 inch of the scar!

I've been on the beach and by the pool in my swimsuit and it's certainly not obvious.

I now use aveeno lotion as a general moisturiser.

So in answer to your question... Yes it does fade with time.

• Posted

Hippy, if anybody gets that close to see a one inch scar apart from my other half, they deserve a clip round the ear!

• Posted

Hi John, I am only 4 weeks post op but using Bio oil on my scar it has already faded and being only 4 inches long I think I wont see my scar much. See is as a trophy John!

• Posted

Hi John,

I have not bothered with my scar, I am ten months post op and it is almost invisible.

• Posted

Hi,

I had my THR beg of Nov 18 and its still very coarse.

i used bio oil for weeks but then had some light ecsma beside it and was told by the consultant to use a E45 cream instead.

But that didn't work. Than I put Nivea hand cream for over 50's on and that got rid of the dry patches and I also think in made the scar a bit softer.

I love the shark bite comment.

i got 2 scars beside each other as i had a hip fracture in March 17. And that scar is very thin now and got a lot more skin toned. You have to be close to see it.

I am still hoping that the THR scar will look nearly the same in 2 years.

Petra

• Posted

Yes it does fade - Bio Oil is the best thing to rub in, it helps moisturise the skin.

• Posted

hi im 37 and had key hole surgery on my hip forst so 3 holes and then a hip replacment last year. my scar is about 15 cm long. It has faded quite a lot but dont think you will ever not notice it and the 3 hole ones. Having been unable to walk for a year before having it and how much it affected my life and my kids i am grateful i have that scar. i can now walk, drive, play with my kids amd do lall the things i used to take for granted. ou never think you would need a hip replacment in your thirties but to me the scar dosnt bother me as not having it was far worse. just got to have the other one done now. not looking forward to that. remember scars tell your story and what you have been through to get there x

• Posted

Thank You all for that information, I want this scar to be gone so bad and thought there was no hope . I just starting walking back normal. I had my surgery the end of August. once again Thanks

• Posted

Hi plenty of products o n market for scars but i find bio o il/ baby oil does just as good it does fade and i wore bikini 8 weeks after my hip replacement and it wasnt that noticeable !!! im 64 and now 8 months after op and i can hardly see scar best wishes

• Posted

i have been left with the most horrific leg scar after falling down only a few stairs, can't claim that as a trophy. But it definitely does look like a shark bite.

struggling to find a link on here to talk to people about it. You guys are the closest I've come. Any suggestions?

I'm afraid my leg is way past bio-oil x

• Posted

Hi Katy, I had a blister form because of a bruise caused during my hip op. It actually became 8 inches long. I had the district nurse in three times a week to dress it but it got infected and smelt awful. They then thought it was one of those flesh eating diseases and I had to have an op to debride it. Mine definitely looks like a shark bite, it was over an inch deep. I use bio oil but as you say it does not have much effect. I also go for leg massages where they exfoliate and rub on oils etc which is lovely. It still looks like I have been bitten by a shark but it is a good excuse to have a leg massage. I had thought of plastic surgery, but that sounded pretty horrific, so I wander round like a wounded soldier.

• Posted

Ptolemy. I am sorry to hear about your infection, that must of been very scary.

My wound is also very deep, as my bones went through the skin and did so much damage the doctors cut a 4cm by 3cm chunk off the back of my leg and moved that skin flap over to the front to cover the hole. it means I've been left with the shark bite at the back and a mountain at the front. Yesterday plastics signed me off but they finally admitted that the mountain bit probably won't go down anymore. Its been ten weeks now and all that time they've been assuring me its "just swollen". Finally saw someone who spoke the truth, she said its muscle they moved so it can't really go down.

What have you been told they could do in the future to help with your appearance?

Mine is on my calf so I'm currently sorting out all my shorts and skirts to give away. My nurse said if i keep hiding it then it will become a bigger issue and i should just "own it". But i don't want to own it and i won't inflict it on people on a daily basis.

Can i ask how you found someone who does scar massage?

• Posted

I have a little hillock at the top, I try and massage it down, but I think it may be fixed for life. My GP was very unhelpful about it. Probably because he did not have a clue. My shark bite is on the inside of my calf slightly to the front. I am taking the attitude it is other people's problem not mine and wander around at the Spa in my swimming costume after a swim. I have a towel round my shoulders but if course it does not cover my legs! Some people have much worse problems I decided. I think your nurse is probably right, just own it. I do actually forget about it now, I think I have hypnotised myself!! I saw a beauty place that advertised leg massage and tried it, they are marvellous. It takes about an hour.

• Posted

you sound so brave. I'm so glad to hear that you are comfortable enough to show it, at the moment that seems like it would be really hard for me to do.

Can i ask how long ago you had your injury? How long you've been living with the scar?

At the beginning i thought it was the shark bite that would upset me the most. Now realise that that was because the doctors and nurses had lead me to believe that it was still swollen so wouldn't always look like it does.

wish it was either the shark bite or the mountain, but side by side they look awful.

Do you mind if i ask if you ever got help coming to terms with it?

I don't think i need too. I think i'm just going to accept my future of hiding it.

Would you be open to sharing a picture?

• Posted

I think my personality is a bit bolshy which helps. I suppose initially I did talk to friends about it and they were very understanding. It was about eight months ago and is pretty well healed. I also offer to show photos of it when it was oozing and infected, so I suppose in some ways I am showing off!! Perhaps I am just a general show off.

• Posted

sounds like the perfect way to be.

I've also shown photos of when i look like i'd been skinned and it was at its worse but weirdly find it harder to show pictures of it now

hopefully i'll feel inspired by you to be a bit braver. But i'm only ten weeks in so maybe i'll wait a little while longer x

• Posted

I think things improve with time, I am not sure I am that brave. In fact probably most people really don't notice our shark bites and if they do they probably feel sorry for us.

• Posted

PTOLEMY I've been experiencing some tightness around the scar yesterday and today. Terrified always that it will heal too tightly. Other than massage so you do anything else to keep it flexible.

Did you have anything like that in the early weeks?

• Posted

I definitely had various feelings around the wound. At nights it could be quite painful. I had tightness too. I cannot think of any way it can be helped. I did ask my GP and he was no help at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.