Does the sun help!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had GA for almost a year, I was bitten by a horse fly on my left side, a week later a rash appeared then it appeared on my right side. It has spread to my under arms down to my elbows, my groin area, stomach and the backs of my legs down to my knees! I live in Spain and was told by my doctor that the sun would help! Can't say I have noticed any difference! I tried steroid cream but I saw no improvement! I have tried changing my diet to a low cholesterol diet to see if that works, it's been a month now. I am 57 living a wonderful life but having to cover up because of this disfiguring disease, it's hard when it 40 in the shade!!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Dezy daughter I feel your pain. I have had this condition since 2008. It wasn't too bad at first just on my neck. However it's suddenly gone berserk and is now all over my arms, neck, back and starting on my legs. A consultant dermatologist has just put me on an anti biotic called Dioxicycline I have to take 1 a day for 3 months. Have been taking it for 1 month so far but no improvement. In fact new ones are coming on my feet!!  I am so embarrassed by it that I wear long sleeves and trousers in all weathers. I am going on a Caribbean cruise in October to celebrate our Ruby Wedding but will have to cover up even in the heat. It's really depressing!! I wish they could find an effective treatment!

• Posted

Sorry Dezy no idea why the word daughter came up there!
    • Posted

Thanks for replying, it's a sort of comfort to not be the only one with GA! I have had to buy a whole new wardrobe ! Can't wear most of my old clothes !

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Posted

Hi Denise 

I've had it for well over 10 years

Mine had started to spread rapidly and looks horrendous 

I've booked to see my doctor in 2 weeks who also is a dermatologist, hoping he can come up with something , I feel embarrassed by it , can't go swimming anymore because people stare, I got asked if it was contagious last time I went

I actually think the sun makes it worse, I'm wondering how many people have been bitten by mosquitoes, who have developed this awful rash, as mine seemed to flare up after I got bitten very badly in Egypt I was given antibiotics for Lyme disease but didn't make any difference.

Hope you have a lovely cruise. X

• Posted

Hello Carol,

Funny you ask about mosquitos because I live in the Caribbean. There is only one other person i know here that has it. She had it very bad all over her body. She cured most of it by a homeopathic doctor in Nante France. He gave he allergy medicine and detox for the liver.

I have tried but mine did not change, honestly i am not good at taking something 3 times a day. I do not have many only 4 that have stayed for over 10 years, the same 4, when one finishes after years another pops up. 

Try allergy medicine and see what happens

Lisa 

• Posted

Hi Dezy and Carol. I have had to buy new clothes too to ensure I am comfortable when I go out. Lots of people think I have ring worm when they see my rash and pull their children away from me. It's quite distressing. Funnily enough Carol when I think about it my GA did start after I was bitten by mosquitos in Sardinia! You would think if this condition was linked to insect bites that the medics could find an antidote! I wonder how many other people developed GA after a bite of some sort? I am also comforted to know there are others who understand how distressing this skin condition is. I don't know anyone else who has it and most people have never heard of it. We must try and keep our spirits up and hope for a treatment break through.

• Posted

Hello to all with GA,

There is also a great FB site with about 800 or so with GA. I have had GA for a year starting out with a big brown spot on the back of my calf. It then became spots on my thighs and then spread down my legs, on all of my arms, abdomen sides, neck and then some on face. I had seen a local dermatologist who tried, Paquinal, Dapsone, light treatment and I was getting thousands more tiny spots. I asked for a referral to the University of Iowa Dermatology dept and saw one that treats lots of GA. He felt he could help, but  said nothing works for everyone and was surprised what I had been on hadn't. He started me on Paquinal and Minocycline twice a day every day. It made an incredible difference, A. no new spots and B. my spots faded significantly. That was with 7 weeks of treatment. I had a slight SE to Paquinal in that I always felt my Blood Sugar was low (I'm a Type 1 diabetic) even when it wasn't. So my new derm started me on ROM treatment. 3 antibiotics taken once a month for 3 months. I started them yesterday. They felt VERY strongly they could stop new spots (which they did) and lessen the looks of others. There is hope. Everyone has remarked about how much better mine look. I don't cover them up. Good luck.

• Posted

Every bit of information that helps some one is giving us G A. Sufferers hope, I will pass this information on to my doctor and see what he says, I'm at the stage where I will try anything ! 

From what I'm reading it seems to be more common in females than males .

• Posted

Granuloma Annulare Support is the best. Bliss Kiss Psoriasis, Eczema and granuloma Annulare is another site. It might say and other skin conditions
    • Posted

The dose is Paquanil 200 mg and Minocycline 100mg twice a day. When I started Paquanil, I had to have my eyes checked by an opthamologist. My first derm had me try Paquanil alone, then I did Dapsone alone, then I did Paquanil and Dapsone together, then I did light treatment. I then went to the University where I got Minocycline and Paquanil. At the University, he said he had patients get better with the ones I failed on. It is so hit or miss. There are options!! Good luck. Keep us posted.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info 

Glaucoma in my family so I would be reluctant to try meds  that can affect the eyes . 

• Posted

Hi Ladies 

I feel your pain I went to a dermatologist and she put me in 10,000 milligrams of vitamin A. Told me it would take around 6 to 8 weeks to see results. I will say that the red bumps are disappearing slowly. Not sure if my legs will get back to my even tone. But I'm working on it.  My doctor is hesitant about the antibiotics because of the side effects.  It's worth a try. 

• Posted

Thanks for this info Nancy. Do you take the vit A 10,000 mg every day. My Dermatologist is not keen for me to take any further antibiotics after I finish this 3 months on dioxicycline that I am currently taking. The vit A treatment may be a good option. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.