Does the surgery leave you with ugly marks?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am scared I might have to have my gallbladder removed and I am struggling with body image. My stomach is the only part of my body I really like. What expectations should I have after the surgery? Will I have to hide my stomach? Sorry if this sounds superficial but I can't stop worrying about it

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You don't have to worry about ugly scars, if you take care of the small incisions after the surgery there will be only 4 small little scars, you'll barely be able to see. I wear a 2 piece bathing suit and after my surgery i will still wear it with no worry of my scars. Unless you get really close and stare at my stomach for a bit you cant even see them.

• Posted

I am 7 months post OP and after about 3-4 months the redness starts to go down. You can also use vitamin E and rub on the scars once they are closed.

• Posted

My doctor used a tape that stayed on for about a week to keep the incision closed on the outside, they stitch on the inside so you don't have any marks from the stitches. You just have to keep them clean and dry. As long as you don't force the tape off before it's ready to come off and let it heal on it own for the first couple weeks without rubbing it or anything, they will be very small marks you'll hardly be able to see. I'd send you a pic of mine but I can't through this site.

• Posted

The holes they make are like slits, after a few weeks mine were just visable, a year on they are hard to see, the one by my belly button was a bit bigger.

best of luck

• Posted

I had mine removed in September, only one tiny little scar which I really have to look for! No need to worry 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.