Does the UK's NHS Offer A 'Pulminary Rehab Program'?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Increasily, in the US, COPD sufferers can get help learning to overcome some of their symptoms – and even gain relief from them – through what’s called a ‘pulmonary rehabilitation program’. Is anything of that type available to you?

The instructor mix, at a given facility, may include any or all of the following: a respiratory therapist, a physical therapist, an occupational therapists, and even a dietitian.

Sessions may last from a month and half to two months, with sessions typically being three times a week.

As you’d imagine, such programs offer a spectrum of suggestions on how you can better deal with your COPD. You’ll receive advice on eating healthier, exercising properly (and sufficiently), and, importantly, how to motivate yourself to continue your exercises at home.

Program instructors usually use a photoelectric device called an oximeter to determine the percentage of oxygen in your blood stream. This can advice them, and you, what you need to do to improve it.

Is this something the NHS offers? If not, why not?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

We have that here. Mine was twice a week for 6 weeks, with physiotherapists. I had never been as well as when I had completed the course. Unfortunately as with many good intentions, I eventually lost momentum. I am now on the waiting list for a second course.
  • Posted

If your lungs function normally, every breath will contain 21% oxygen. If you suffer from COPD, you’re taking in less, but you need more, because you’re lungs aren’t functioning efficiently. Oxygen therapy could be a solution because it can help you boost your oxygen intake to 24% percent or better – way better for you. Talk to your doctor. Maybe you qualify.

• Posted

I was ordered this at the local Chest Clinic, who said I would receive an appointment through the post. However, when I didn't receive anything, I went to my GP who said I was the second person to ask about it and that he had never heard of one in our area and his computer is linked to all the local health centres/hospitals in the East End of London, so yet again, no satisfaction...!!
  • Posted

I find it hard to credit that you don't have all possible options in the capital city. I live where we still have gills and webbed feet and the COPD service here is excellent!
  • Posted

and I live in the backward North we can see Scotland from here but our Rehabilitation is excellent and teaches us how to look after ourselves to attain the Status Quo.
  • Posted

@ Outhwaite have you checked the British Lung Foundation website. They have a helpline number on the pulmonary rehabilition page. It might be worth your while giving them a ring! Nothing to lose.
  • Posted

Thanks Christine, I'll definitely look into it. Regards, Val.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.