Does this classify as IBS?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone, thank you for tapping and reading in. My father, who is in his 50's, reached out to me and revealed that he has some type of issue regarding his health.

He told me, that a for the past 8 months, he poops out liquid stool. Not when he is trying to use the bathroom, it happens out of nowhere. He doesn't force it out, he doesn't feel it coming. His liquid stool comes out whenever. He tells me he carries around wet wipes just in case his liquid stool randomly comes out. He confirms to me it's brown, so I don't think it's blood. He says he uses the bathroom with no issue, it's just his liquid stool coming out on it's own (especially when he's not trying to use the bathroom) that worries him.

This is a really big question mark for the both of us. I asked him why he didn't let anyone know sooner. He was too embarrassed to speak out. He wanted me to research what this could be before he heads to the doctor. There's many things that come in my mind that could trigger his issue, but I think I will start here. Could my dad's stool trouble be related to IBS? Menopause? Any type of hormonal imbalances? His diet or lifestyle?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Any of the things you mention could cause digestive issues, although in your Dad's case it obviously wouldn't be menopause. Its worth him picking up with his GP to get checked out. There is something called overflow diarrhoea which can cause similar symptoms, this is caused by chronic constipation. It could be something as simple as a food intolerance causing some IBS symptoms. Best to mention it to his Dr, especially as its been going on for so long. Fingers crossed its something easily rectified. He's still very young, so hopefully less likely to be anything scary. Best wishes to you both.

• Posted

hi ryder, i read your comments about your dad with interest. can i find out whether your dad has constipation on top of this leaking. has he got an anal fissure, piles/haemrrhoids etc? i would dig more about this! something has gone wrong, his doctors would be really interested in what has happened and would have heard it all before. bless you, what"s happened is scary. good luck trying to discover what has happened. 🤞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.