Does this disconnected/brain fog feeling go away.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I came down with mono around may 27th. First week was pretty bad, i was really fatigued and had some horrible anxiety over the whole thing. As time went on i tried convincing myself i'd just ignore it and keep on living (bad mistake) i pretty much went hard and just stayed awake for like 10 days on caffeine. Finally I felt horrible and just started resting. Now most of the fatigue has lifted I'm still a little more tired than usual, I mean i cant do as much as i used to but i think that's just from getting out of shape. The one symptom that's still there and i notice a lot is the disconnected feeling/brain fog stuff. (it's worse when i stand up) It's gotten a little better sure but I still don't feel like my old self. Any chance that that will go away. I've been getting worried about chronic fatigue syndrome.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

It WILL go away eventually. I 100% know the feeling you're talking about - it's like you're there but not there. Or you're having a conversation with someone and all of a sudden it's like you can hear them talking but you're not sure what they're saying. You just space out and feel so so off. For me, it's happened quite a bit when I've been driving which has been scary. I'm a week ahead of you in my mono (just about two and a half months in) and I can tell you that it does get better but you need to take care of yourself. Like you, the first few weeks of my mono I tried to "push through." I went camping and started a new job and neglected how much rest my body needs. This means that you and I are probably going to need an extra few weeks to a month to recover fully.

I also just want to add eliminating emotional stress is so important, too! I've had the sh*ttiest three weeks and had a few very intense and dramatic personal emergencies thrown my way so I've spent so much time feeling emotionally depleted which has increased my brain fog a ton. Try to control your stress levels by journaling or venting to a friend! It'll help a lot.

Also - the other day I was feeling great so I met a few friends for brunch. In the middle of the brunch my brain fog flared up. I felt out of it and panicked and like I was watching myself from above. I went to the bathroom, took three deep breaths, accepted that I was having a symptom caused by a virus, and went back to the table (I was also honest with my friends that I was feeling weird). Within an hour the brain fog went away and I had a fantastic rest of my day. I think it's one of those things where the more you panic and the more stressed out you get, the more you'll suffer.

This virus won't last forever - I think one of the frustrating things about it is that online it says most people recover within 2 - 4 weeks and may have fatigue up to a few months after. When I asked my friends on Facebook how long it took them to recover from mono, the minimum was two months. Most people recovered within 3 - 4 months. It's normal for it to take this long! You'll feel better soon 😃

• Posted

Hey I just want to say thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate that and it made me feel a lot better. These past couple days I've been doing better. It a comforting thought to know that other people are going through the same thing right now, and that you're not alone.

• Edited

Hey man

Had it since i got mono back in january 2019

still to this day there are weeks where i feel like this.

no doctor can say why, but i guess it's just your nervous system that has gone haywire.

some say it's anxiety and stress en they sure are a factor, but this feeling usually comes out of thin air.

so i know the struggles

after mono a lot of people are more prone to get these weird symptoms in stressful periods of their lives.

mono being a stressful period makes it a vicious circle.

if you want my advice, try to get moving as much as possible. good sleep and structure in your life help loads as well.

the first year of recovery is the worst, the second gets better but you still feel like s** sometimes.

by the third year, most of us are a lot better

• Posted

hey man, true words you speak. I do have symptoms even after 4 years, but I can do stuff. even a lot of stuff but I feel bad for a day or 2 afterwards. The brain fog comes and goes. Usually lifting when Im active, than coming back when resting (immunity and symptoms increase when resting/ during night)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.