Does this drug really work for anxiety?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Suffering from crippling anxiety for 30 plus years.l have been on every antidepressant known to man and talking therapy nothing has ever helped.l have now been changed to quetiapine XL 50mgs.l have been on them for 7 days.I have no improvement as yet l am also in withdrawal from vortioxetine.l am struggling with side effects from both drugs.What l need to know has anyone had a positive effect with this drug and how long they waited before they noticed an improvement.l have lost all faith in medication and l have read so many horror stories about this drug.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I take 12.5 mg during the day if my anxiety gets bad, and it helps level out my mood. I dont take the xl because it dosent act as fast, as its the extended release form. The 12.5 lasts about 4 hours. I take 25mg at night and can sleep 7 hours on it which is what I needed, since my anxiety before wouldnt allow me to sleep. 

Only side effect I have had is some weight gain in the tummy area, but Id gladly buy larger shirts to be able to function better during the day, and get some sleep at night. Welcome trade off for me. 

This is not like antidepressants, it doesnt take days to build up and work, it works immediatly if your not taking the extended release version. smile

• Posted

I've taken this at night (25mg) and get the 'munchies' big time. I gained weight quite rapidly so came off it and now back to sleepless nights. But everyone is different so you might not get these side effects. Just give them a try and see. Hope it helps !!

• Posted

Thanks no increase in weight or appetite so far sadly no decrease in anxiety either.Thanks for replying.
  • Posted

Hello Marleen.  I am bipolar and I have General Anxiery Disorder.  I have been on many anti depressants but, when my Doctors realised I had bipola, my medication was reviewed.  I too have been prescribed Quetiapine and for your information you are on a very low dose.  Do you know if you are being increased gradually?  I am now on 400 mg and 5mg diazapan.  My anxierty is better but I can still be nasty and violent when stressed.  I guess it has worked to a degree for me.  Also, please remember that sites such as this one draws negative statments.  It is like you never complement someone for good service but you are running to the management should you feel you have been given bad service.  Stick with it for a while; it is early days.  But I would ask your health team about increasing your dose.  50mg really is nothing!!
    • Posted

in my experience, a low dose of 25mg over 2 years has allowed me go gain a TON of weight. 
  • Posted

Forgot to say, you may well put in weight.
    • Posted

Thanks Martyn l will be increasing very gradually as l tend to react badly to medication.l know that people tend to write everything that is negative.Thank you for your advice.
    • Posted

Hi Marleen, "people tend to write everything that is negative" I just wanted to clarify anything I or others have written come from experience, I dont think people are being positive or negative, they are just reporting what has happened to them. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Marleen, how are you doing with quetiapine XL now? Does it help you for daily anxiety? Do you still take 50mg?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.