Does this go away?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband had a hamstring injury last summer and couldn't drive for a week.  He was in pain.  A few months ago driving was bothering him so Dr. diagnosed him with Sciatica.  The MRI also showed a ruptured disk or L5 (not sure if this is it).   He is against physical therapy because he claims it's a waste of $$$ so he had a cortisone shot 3 days ago.  He is still complaining that it hurts when he drives.  I don't understand why this shot isn't working.   His dad had sciatica about 3 years ago and one shot worked for him-- the pain has never came back.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had one yesterday it's the second one I've had in 2 months.

The pain can get more severe for the first couple of days then around day 5 the cortisone should start to kick in.

Apparently 70% success rate and unfortunately I was in the 30% failure as I only got 2 days of relief. So going again hopefully more luck this time.

• Posted

HI

My husband has sciatica, he does not think this may be what your husband has got, as the cortisone is not working.

He takes pain killers to help, my husband thought physio would not work, but it is really helping him.

I know you think it a waste of money, but download the excercises for sciatica fact sheet, and walking is very good, make sure when walking or sitting that the posture is correct.

My husband is starting to feel much better.

Find out if this pain really is sciatica?

Let us know how you get on.

Junie

• Posted

Yes..  that's what I was telling him last night that it may not be sciatica.  He has anxiety and very stubborn BUT I will continue to tell him about physical therapy.   In the meantime, hoping that the shot works some!!   He does walk so this is good!!

• Posted

Walking is good, just keep a check on the posture, it makes all the difference ,

Please let us know how he gets on.

Junie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.