Does this look like an infection or allergic reaction?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I need some opinions... three days ago I had my stitches removed. My leg had been in a splint and I thought that my incisions were itching because they were healing. However, when they took my splint off I realized that there was this clear mesh-like tape covering my stitches and on either side of the incision where that tape was touching my skin is what itched, NOT the actual incision.

When that was all removed they placed steri strips (see picture) over my incisions and sent me home with a boot. The itching has not improved, and I am actually wondering if maybe my skin does not like the steri strips? I admit I have lightly itched through a sock because it is that bad.

Did anyone else experience extreme itching? I have also been having clear discharge coming from the small holes left behind by the stitches. Is that normal? (I am going to call the doctor tomorrow).

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi hun i would call your doctor asap , it looks like an infection .

They should have a 24 hr nurse you can talk too.

• Posted

If you cannot get to your doctor I would remove the tape and clean area with peroxide. I then would put an antibiotic ointment on I had 2 by 4 bandages that covered the area. That is what I did and it worked out fine. Good Luck!

• Posted

I would definitely talk to the doctor to be sure, but it is possible that you could be having an allergic reaction. I so far am not showing anything to the steri strips, but in 2008 I had a breast reduction and my incisions were covered over by medical tape that cause me to have an allergic reaction. The adhesive on the tape caused my skin to break out into blisters. It was really disconcerting because they were big blisters full of liquid and two days after surgery they had to remove the tape and leave my incisions unprotected. As soon as the tape was removed, the blisters began to heal and everything went well after that, but it scared the crap out if me. Best to check with your doctor, but if it is that, it won't take much to heal. Good luck!!

• Posted

yes , that looks like a greenish color under the strips. that could very well be infection. notify your doctor so he could look at it and that way you would know for sure

• Edited

Could be an allergic reaction to the tape and you might have caused an infection by scratching it. I would have doc look at it or call him. You might need wound care.If your answer is delayed , In the mean time I would clean it, put antibiotic cream and medi honey on it..a big square bandage, Medi honey is a great product they use and very effective,

• Posted

Thanks everyone. They think my hair follicles are infected and that I am having an allergic reaction to the adhesive. I am going on antibiotics and have to wash the area, remove the strips and keep it uncovered and exposed to air as much as possible.

• Posted

Glad to hear your surgery incisions are ok. Sucks about the infection in your follicles and the allergy (been there), but that will hopefully clear up quickly and not impede your recovery. Wishing you a quick recovery both in this and on your break! And so glad you got answers!

• Posted

Hi everyone - so I started antibiotics on Friday and since then I have developed many blisters. I have not popped them, but some just pop on their own. I feel like it has gotten worse rather than better. Debating if it is worth a trip to the ER? Anyone experience this?

• Posted

yeah that looks like a dr call to me. Can you send pics to your dr or do a telemedicine call?

• Edited

Hello Mando, I think the itching is normal I had my stitches removed March 11 and my incisions itch so bad i be rubbing it to try and stop it. yes, i think you need to asked the doctor about the discharge but i really think it's normal. it's been 4 weeks for me with non weight bearing now I'm experiencing pain in my incisions and it's a burning sensation like a bee sting sometimes my toes get numb and my feet swell then the swelling will leave and i could feel my toes. my incisions is so hard when i touch it i go back April 8 so hopefully i could start weight bearing on it. it's hard doing the ankle excercises it hurts. i will love to hear what happen at your appt. Good luck and i hope you heal fast❤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.