Does this look like bunions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I never really have thought I had bunions till now. I thought it was the normal shape of my foot, until now. I have small bumps on each side of my big toe.

This is a pic. Can upload into onto here since I'm on phone but here a link http://oi63.tinypic.com/ms15ys.jpg

Any help would be nice!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, appears to be bunions but not that large. Doctors have always told me that you should only have bunion surgery if they are causing you pain. Mine were large enough to have caused instability between the 1st & 2nd metatarsals & I had terrible pain in the balls of my feet when walking since the 2nd metatarsal collapsed. Also, it was hard to find shoes that fit / I was wearing men's 6E athletic shoes!! Anyway, my opinion is that if you aren't in pain, don't worry about it!! Janice
    • Posted

Okay, thanks.

Yeah I deff don't want surgery yet. Not something I'm gonna look into till I actually need it. I am going to make an appt with a podiatrist to see if there anything that can be done to prevent it from getting worse. I know a lot of people say it can be a genetic thing. But is it possible my socks and or shoes caused this? I've always hated my feet and I think for almost half my life I've worn socks more than I have not. And a lot of my socks are tight so I wonder if it's done this.

• Posted

Yes, go see the doctor.  From the picture, that is definitely bunions but not terribly big -- your big toe is pointing inwards some, more on the one foot than the other.  However, if there is not pain (doesn't look anywhere as bad as mine!), probably nothing to be done.  But definitely see a podiatrist.  I believe mine were mostly hereditary.   They say that tight pointy shoes can make it worse.
  • Posted

Hi Cassie, that does not sound to be bunions,  more like corns. But still you need to have doctor see it due to it getting worse and complicated to perform sugery. please do not wait too long.
  • Posted

That's what I thought about my feet too until I got referred to a podiatrist for bunions last year. It doesn't look bad but go by how much pain you experience doing certain things. I'm in the military and I also love to hike, rock climb and run (used to love running at least). I can give up running and I guess rock climbing but I love hiking and to have a fighting chance to stay in the military, I had surgery for my bunions. My feet were in constant pain one day after we ran in the morning and I was limping all week. I also have flat feet which doesn't help bunions.

I would try to puruse minimally invasive methods first, pursue them aggressively because I had my first surgery done (I will get my other foot done too) in March and I'm still in crutches, I've begun trying to walk but I can't walk without crutches to offload some weight because the msucles in my entire leg, ankle and foot dystropied from not being used for nearly 2 months. You are also limited in what you can do, if you're the type of person who doesn't like to be inside all day. At least this is my experience, I'm hoping to no longer need crutches next month and hopefully wear a regular shoe.

• Posted

Yeah, I have surgery will be my last option. I have no pain right now. I know eventually It probably will. But I'm hoping once I see someone they can suggest ways to slow it down. Considering I work a job where It requires me to be moving around for 8 hours a day, there is no way I could get surgery.
    • Posted

Yeah, bunions are progressive but they don't always need surgery if your lifestyle doesn't require it to or if you're not in pain. I suggest maybe orthotics, don't wear shoes that are tight especially around the toes, lay off on high-impact activities if you can, toe spacers. Seeing a chiropractor may help you walk better to prevent them from getting worse. Like I said, they aren't bad but yeah, definitely seeing a podiatrist about it is the first step.
    • Posted

Okay, thank yousmile just bought some toe spacers. Does it look like I have the near My pinky toes also? Or is that just maybe the shape Of my foot?
    • Posted

Do you have flat feet? I THINK you may have bunions on your pinky toes...I also had a tailor's bunion (pinky toe) and my foot looked like that but I'd have your doctor look at it to be sure.
    • Posted

Not sure about the pinky toes but don't think so -- the podiatrist will tell you when you see him (next week I think you said?).  Not sure that the toe spacers will help (at least I don't think they will "fix" anything -- might help with pain/discomfort if you have any), but they aren't going to hurt anything.  Believe me, I've bought and tried to use every single possible "bunion" product on the market lol -- toe spacers, "yogatoes," bunion braces, special socks for bunions, orthotics of all assorted kinds.  I finally couldn't take it anymore due to the progressive pain in the balls of my feet.  I think I mentioned this before -- I had a right foot lapidus procedure & shortening of the 2nd & 3rd metatarsals at the end of October and a left foot lapidus and shortening of the 2nd metatarsal at the beginning of February.  Maybe if I had done it a long time ago, instead of suffering with & complaining about pain for 20 years, it might not have been so extensive a surgery with such a long and agonizing recovery time!!!!  Let us know how your appointment turns out!

• Posted

I really hope it's not in the pinky toes. I'm just getting over the fact that I have regular bunions. I don't want anymoresad I don't want them to get worsesad
    • Posted

Hahaha!  I hear what you're saying!  I hate bunions!!!!  But I suppose there's worse things we could get lol!  Hang in there -- I'll be waiting to see the advice you get from the doctor.
    • Posted

Just got back! He told me that my foot goes inward and thinks that could be a thing that could make my bunions worse. He gave me some shoe inserts. They're called pro tech. Although I still feel like my foot goes inward with them. So I emailed him to see if we can fix that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.