Does this mean I have pernicious anaemia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi again, I just wanted to clarify something.

So I finally got a printout of all my results and they are as follows

170- july 2012

148- July 2013

131- June 2015 (low) folate 30.3

125- June 2015 (retest, PA negative) folate 36.2

Started injections

624- September 2015 (after injections)

276- January 2016

450- June 2016 (managed to talk the doc into another injection before this)

260- September 2016

162- July 2017

Does this show I have pernicious anaemia?

Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It looks to me as if you have an absorption problem although despite your negative test in 2015 it could be P.A as the test itself is not all that accurate.

In a normal healthy person the stomach lining has what are called "Gastric parietal cells" which produce "Intrinsic Factor" which travels with food through the small intestine which is made up of three parts - the Duodenum, the Jejunum and the Ileum..

Iron is absorbed in the Duodenum, most other nutrients in the Jejunum and our friend B12 in the Ileum.

Here the Intrinsic Factor binds to the B12 and the "B12/IF Complex" enters the cells on the wall of the Ileum after binding to receptors on the surface of the Ileal cells, allowing it to enter the blood stream.

Sadly some people with "traditional P,A." either do not produce Intrinsic Factor or if they do, they also produce an antibody which destroys it and it is then called "Autoimmune Pernicious Anaemia". In addition it can happen that we produce "Parietal cell Antibodies" and "Intrinsic Factor Antibodies" which totally wipes out any chance of absorbing the B12.

What does your doctor think it is?

I'm not medically trained but I have had P.A. for over 45 years.

• Posted

Hi, My first results came back at B12 levels 84!

I had gone down to 5 stone over 3 months, I first got injections every 3 months but my levels stayed the same.

I'm now on every 2 months and my weight slowly went up, im back to my normal weight of 7 stone but i am only 5"4".

I got told just to eat as normal.

I don't have any other health problems.

Steph x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.