Does this seem like Diverticulitis or possibly something worse, kind of worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm M/24.

So around this past december or so, I started getting indigestion. Not what I would call severe, but definitely was gassy and belching a lot. I also started getting a very light dull feeling around my stomach, but not even really pain. Long story short, I ended up getting some different tests done. I got blood tests done (and a bunch more later), and an abdominal ultra sound. All of that was fine. I did also get a thyroid ultra sound along with a thyroid blood test. The blood test was fine...but my doctor said my thyroid ultrasound was slightly off, but nothing serious.

So for awhile the indigestion feeling and light stomach feeling were kind of on and off, nothing bad. Around the time of early February or so though, I noticed I started getting some constipation. Not severe, like days without going, but a little longer than usual. I also noticed two times (two days in a row) My stool came out dark. I dont think it was tar black, but it was definitely dark brown. I had some on and off constipation for a while then and took some ezo, but it didn't help too much. I had dark stool again two times in a row like maybe 3-4 weeks later, but no time in between that (and haven't fully to that extent since then.

My constipation ended up kind of regulating, but I started noticing around that spot where I had a light stomach feeling kind of become very dull light pain. It's mostly in one spot slightly right of my belly button, but kind of moves around, and sometimes just feels crampy. I also feel very boated throughout the day on and off, which has started the last week+ or so. Also recently I have started getting some back pain, and its more strong after laying down when I wake up, but then it alleviates for the most part after getting up.

I havent had any diarrhea, nausea or vomiting. My stool mostly for awhile has come out normal in consistency, but I notice that its mixed color between some lighter and darker brown. I also noticed a few times some light mucas/particles. Hard to tell red blood or anything like that.  The last few days I've had a slight feeling of weakness, mostly especially after going to the bathroom at night.

I ended up going to a GI last monday and he wanted me to come back this coming monday to see how things are having trying some more ezo. He said I should end up getting a colonoscopy if things don't seem better.

I'm just really worried of this being "that worst case scenario." I never really any had any issues in terms of going to the bathroom, stool color, or constipation. There were maybe like one or two times like a year and a half ago or a little less of like having to go more right away, but it wasn't consistent. For the most part my stool was always normal from what I could tell. Plus I feel my stomach, and it might be paranoia but it almost feels like I can feels some bumps...but I can't even tell if it's just my normal "stuff'.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you did the right thing by going to th Drs. Please let us know what he says. My pain is in my lower left side I was diagnosed with a colonoscopy last year x
  • Posted

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about ,just the ups and downs of digestive issues that everyone gets from time to time depending on what we eat ,I think the indigestion meds can change your stool.But get s colonoscopy to put your mind at rest ,I had one done and it's a fairly simple procedure,the prep is worse then the actual test .Good luck .

• Posted

My symptoms are really similar to yours, started in my upper stomach last October, improved a bit then started getting dull pain right side of belly button and recently started same place but on the left too.  My Doctor suspects Diverticular disease and I am awaiting an appointment with consultant and possible colonoscopy. I had blood tests which showed high inflammatory marker but the last test showed it improving.

I will be interested to know how you get on. Good luck

• Posted

It doesn't sound consistant with diverticulitis. Diverticulitis wreaks havoc on your digestive system and it doesn't usually heal without antibiotics, liquid diet then low fiber diet. Good luck! 

• Posted

I think it would be really sensible to have both a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy so you are checked out all the way through your digestive system, to put your mind at rest.  It doesn't sound totally like Diverticulitis or Diverticular Disease, although some of the symptoms match.  But there are so many other things which are not your worst case scenario - IBS, gastritis or even just a food intolerance for example, which might give you similar symptoms. 

If you have seen a doctor, they should have had a good feel around and would have identified any lumps.  An abdominal ultra sound would also have picked up any lumps, so I would suspect that what you feel may well be normal for you.  Have you considered your lifestyle?  Are there some foods or drinks which seem to upset you?  I developed a gluten intolerance in my 40's so it can happen at any age.  Are you under a lot of stress (and I know worry will increase your stress level anyway)?  I used to get severe stomach upsets every time I had to take an exam.  I hope you get some answers soon.  Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.