Does this sound familiar?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 33 have been diagnosed with PSA in the last couple of months and started on otezla. I have had psoriasis on my palms and heels for 7 years and my mom has psa and no psoriasis. I want a diagnosis, but I want to make sure I'm not being to eager to accept this one. My aches come and go and often affect different joints in different days ( always the same joints, just not the same ones each day) does that make sense? Almost always my hips and knees bilaterally and my right pinky and ring finger and knuckle but sometimes my left elbow, sometimes my wrists, sometimes other fingers, sometimes my ankles. It's not worse in the mornings but at night. I'm tired a lot and when I'm in pain, I can hardly sleep bc my hips and knees hurt. My thumbnails seem to be separating a bit on the sides bc they are turning white like the tips. So, I know I have some symptoms and others that different. I see a rheumatologist next month, but sometimes I feel like I'm being a baby and I hypochondriac. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i have had ps for 37 years and sorry to say sara, it sounds like you have arthritis. You just described my symptoms! I have found the joint damage I have came from the joints that have stayed swollen for a few months at a time and other joint pain come and go with no  long term effects! I wish you well in the future!
    • Posted

Sometimes it even feels like my muscles hurt. That's what makes me question the diagnosis.

• Posted

Hi Sara. Your muscles will hurt because your body is having to adapt. They are taking on the strain that you are trying to keep off your joints, so they are working harder than they've had to before. When my toes first got bad I was still spending all day on them in work, and I'm quite a fast walker, but my legs would just feel dead by the end of the day. But I daren't stop or else I wouldn't get moving again. First thing in the morning was worst because I would literally just hobble across the bedroom, and forget standing on one leg to get dressed! It may take a few months but it does ease as your muscles strengthen, and you do need them to strengthen. Exercise gently, but don't stop moving altogether. Personally I find cooling gels the best for pain and swelling as it helps to take the heat out. My joints get too warm otherwise. X

• Posted

Thanks, I'll try the cooling gels. I use them after I work out. I've noticed if I slack on working out or I drink alcohol, the pain is worse. What a great incentive to work out!

• Posted

You sound like me to a T! I have had psoriasis on my hands , wrists, elbows, knees, calfs, back of thighs and various small spots here and there. I'm 52 now and have had the patches since I was 21 or so. I've had psa for about 12 years. This is the first time I've ever been on a site like this, and I'm very thankful that it exists. I thought that when I try to describe what it's like to anyone, they must think that I'm nuts or a hypochondriac at the very least. The first three or four hours of my day are usually pretty good, but the aches in various places get worse as the day goes on. I don't believe there's a joint in my body that isn't affected at some point or another. If I don't get enough sleep, the pains are worse. I'm very sorry for everyone who is affected by psa, but it's really nice to know that I'm not alone, and I'm not crazy! Lol

• Posted

This is my first time on a site like this, too. I just wanted to find other ppl like me or to tell me that I'm crazy. Thank you so much for your response! You hit the nail on the head with my symptoms and how I feel about them. It is nice to know I'm not alone or making this crap up in my head.

• Posted

Hi sara this sounds just like me but I get it in neck and shoulder aswel and I'm only 26! Iv been told rheumatoid as my crp was 47 😕

• Posted

Oh and PS its sounds awful I feel for u all! I don't have PSA I have no skin rashes so mine most probably is rheumatoid.

• Posted

RA is just as bad, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I have a friend with that. She gets the injections and carries a heating pad around. She's 32. Too young to feel that damn old!

• Posted

Gemlharrison, My rheumatologist has diagnosed psoriatic arthritis, but I have no

skin rashes and tested negative for RA. I wonder if I am in a small percentage of those diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and have no signs of skin psoriasis?

• Posted

My mother was diagnosed with it 10 years ago and zero skin conditions. still none. Hopefully you never get that, too.
    • Posted

Good morning this is my first time posting on this site as after almost 3 years i am still not sure what I have. Rheumy says some kind of arthritis and gp says fibro. Ive taken everything known to man for fibro and it did nothing. My symtoms started with waking in the morning with stiff right hand and 4 months later and since then I have had painfull feet and hands in the joints that attach toes and fingers. Hip buttock and lower back pain and jaw pain. I have no psoriasis rash. The only pain meds that work so far is Tramadol 100mg twice a day on bad days. Mornings are horrible as im so stiff and in so much pain before i get up and start moving. I know everyone is different but wondered if these symtoms sound like PSA. Thanks for listening. My heart goes out to all because no matter what it is its a tough road to be on. Joanne
    • Posted

Hi Jo 

It certainly has all the hallmarks of PSA a decent Rhumy should be able to diagnose you within minutes. Often Doctors do not check for PSA, and to be honest i dont think most GPs know much about PSA from my experience. 

Best Wishes 

Rob 

• Posted

When I pointed out the beaus lines on my thumbs the splinter hemorauge on 1 big toe and a rough serface on both big toes my gp asked if i had any plaque of which i do not. I was 57 when this first started so I believe that makes me too old. I do thank you for your support. My Gp said to mention these symtoms to my Rheumy in April. Its hard to know what to mention as far as symtoms go. Joanne
    • Posted

If it were me I would make a list of all the aches pains swellings etc and present it all to the rhumy just because they are not present on the day does not mean you dont have it. 

Rob 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.