Does this sound like a Gallbladder problem?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My pain started below the right rib around 5 months ago. It’s like a tight burning pain. Around two months ago it spread to the left side as well. No pain in the middle. The pain is always there but it generally is worse on one side than the other. I get pain in my back on each side as well. It’s about a 3 or 4 out of 10 pain. I’ve had ultrasound, endoscopy, liver function test, and h pylori test and all came back clear. I can’t find a relation between food and the pain but excercise seems to make it slightly worse. I also experience mild nausea which comes and goes. My bowel movements vary between 1 and 3 times a day and are generally soft but not diarrhoea. 

Anybody else experienced anything like this or can shed some light on what it is? It’s really starting to get me down now. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry, one other symptom I have is that I seem to belch an awful lot, not sure if that’s connected. 
  • Posted

I see hida scan missing in your test..did you take it?
    • Posted

No, I’ve never had one. Not sure if my symptoms are consistent with gallbladder problems so haven’t pushed for one. 
  • Posted

All I can say is my pain is on both sides too.  It’s never terrible, just nagging.  I have sludge and some gravel stones.  Sometimes the ultrasounds don’t show them.  Try a CT scan.

But, yes a lot of belching (that was one of my first symptoms). Also nausea occasionally.  It will all go away for a few months and then rear it’s ugly head again.  I can’t pin point any specific foods either...except for coffee

• Posted

You sound like u are having a lot of similar symptoms to myself. I think I will definitely try cutting coffee out as I seem to be reading that quite a lot. 
    • Posted

For belching, did you rule out gastritis and others issues by doing endoscopy? I have non working gallbladder and stones and I also have gastritis, my major issue is bloating and belching.not sure if it's gastritis or gallbladder.

• Posted

Just heard I’ve got a follow up Appt with my GI in two weeks so hopefully he can advise if he thinks it’s gallbladder or not. 
  • Posted

This kind of sounds like my symptoms and but mine goes in the   Middle  Of my chest I had a hida scan and my gallbladder is over working at 88% 
  • Posted

Many thanks for everyone’s responses. One other question I have is, does anyone find any relation to there pain and excercise? I always seem to get sorer after I have been to the gym, to the point that I very rarely go now a days. 
    • Posted

I sometimes get pain if I overwork myself by exercising too much. So I stick to simple walking around the stores since the pain keeps me in bed enough.
  • Posted

You can have these symptoms from your gall bladder, ultrasound doesnt always show things like gallbladder disease, stones can come & go, they also can move, there is also referred pain where you can have pain in other areas, you may want to ask about your gall bladder & if hiatal hernia is possible...a HIDA scan & barium swallow are two tests that may shed light on issues, a CT also but there is radiation & its expensive, it is worth it to keep pushing for answers, if you feel like crap, there usually is a reason, dont wait until its worse especially if it is starting to worry or depress you...at the very least they can treat your symptoms, antacids, H2 blockers, proton pump inhibitors, simethicone(for gas), changes to your diet maybe(caffeine is a stimulant) higher fat/dairy foods can cause issues...Hope you get answers and feel better soon, Best Wishes💟

• Posted

Many thanks for ur in depth answer. I really appreciate it. I will definitely speak to my GI at my next appt. 
    • Posted

Thanks for that info.  I am going to ask for a hida scan instead of a ct.  And she will probably want to do another us since nothing showed up on the one in her office.  I am going to go back to hospital for the next one.  I do think equipment and sonographers technique makes a difference sometimes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.