Does this sound like a thyroid problem?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am an 18 year old male and I have been developing some strange symptoms over the last 5 weeks. It all started with abdominal discomfort and intermittent pains in my upper abdomen which stretch round to my back. Last week I developed some more alarming symptoms; coated tongue, lightheadedness, nausea and my apetite and weight are also waning. My stools have also been strange in that some days they float and some have dark patches in them, however this has only happened over the last couple of days. I have been to the GPs countless times and have had 3 blood tests and all of them have come back normal. I also had an MRI of my abdomen on Tuesday but still haven't had the results which probably means it didn't find anything. The doctors don't seem to have a clue what it is and haven't really put forward any possible causes. Does this sound like it could be a thyroid problem or more of a digestive one? Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Harry of course I am not a doctor but if your blood tests for the thyroid are coming back in the normal rages you may not have a thyroid problem after all but more of a digestive issue.  Have you been tested for H Pylori?

Rose

• Posted

Hi Rose, no I haven't. I also haven't been specifically tested for thyroid problems in my bloods as they were mainly checking for diabetes, kidney function and liver function. I have a telephone appointment with my doctor on Monday so unless the scan shows something I'll ask her about H Pylori.

• Posted

Well testing for diabetes, kidney and liver function is good too, at least you know those systems are working properly!

I had H Pylori and it caused all sorts of stomach issues so yes it's worth it to add that to the list. Good luck on Monday, keep us posted.

Rose

• Posted

Hi Harry, what are the results of your thyroid tests? People with thyroid disease don't always show unusual bloodwork.

Also, you may be having some sort of liver/gallbladder dysfunction. It isn't typical for a young person. But if your stool is light in color, and you're having upper abdominal pain, this could be the problem.  

However, I can tell you from experience that you can have extensive problems and they might not necessarily show up anywhere. Many tests don't show positive results unless the problem is really extreme.

My point is that, if you feel you're having a health issue, you probably are. If docs can't diagnose it, they can't help. So, do what you can on your own. Clean up your diet and exercise. Get some good quality supplements and research some easy natural, home remedy solutions for gut, liver and gallbladder problems.  While you're cleaning up your act, go ahead and get whatever blood work done, that you feel is necessary.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the advise. My MRI scan results came back as completely normal. Pancreas, bile duct and gall bladder were all fine. I'm having a blood test on Wednesday for H Pylori so I'll see what that brings up and then I'll ask about thyroid. The doctors have no idea so I'm just trying to feed them some suggestions!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.