does this sound like AF?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been cursed with ectopic beats for years. they come and go. since 02/14 i am experiencing a fluttering in my chest and when i feel my pulse it is erratic and irregular. it feels like lots of eptopics in a row followed by a regular beat followed by a run of eptopics this can last anywhere from 3 seconds to 5 minutes. i have already had 4 episodes of this today. i have had ECG done and blood work which was normal and i am now awaiting appointments for holter monitor and stress test. every time it happens i want to run to a&e. can anyone shed some light. the sensation is impossible to ignore when it happens and i stop on the spot.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

forgot to mention i'm on 2.5mg of bisoprolol which is doing nothing for me except giving me cold hands and feet and weird dreams other than that palpitations are still there
  • Posted

I am a 64 year old female and have had ectopic beats and irregular heartrate for many years.  I had an unsuccessful electro-physiological procedure 10 years ago.  I am also taking 2.5mg Bisoprolol which is not helping my supraventricular beats.  I am waiting for an appointment to see a cardiologist in April and I may be given a different medication then.  My complications are that I also have COPD and a lot of beta-blockers are contraindicated with this condition.
    • Posted

Hi, I had an ablation also and it did not cure my ectopics but years prior it did cure my SVT as I already stated but nice to hear you experienced similiar results. I read alot of posts that to date, no meds help the ectopics but there are breathing programs and nutrition programs to cure ectopics you may want to look into. I just wish for a cure for these as they can take over your life if you let them. 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hello!

Please do not worry about this as you can see in many of our posts, it will not kill you even if it is a-fib. Try to ignore as the more you worry, the worse they will get.  Try to find out what triggers it and report back to this forum as it has really helped me as I have them daily and nightly but am going to figure out the cure if it's the last thing I do.

• Posted

Thank you for all your replies. What scares me most is not knowing what it is! The sensation is horrible. Fluttering with some bangs thrown in it knocks the air out of me. Im sure its probably nothing to worry about its just all this waiting to find out what exactly it is. As I said single ectopics dont worry me in the slightest. Its runs of them with no regular beat that sends me to panic.smile
  • Posted

Believe me, I know the feeling as I have bi and tri runs and if I take my pulse, it is very erratic and scary. I felt so abnormal until I found sights like this one with sooooo many folks, just like us with this same condition. Once you get diagnosed, you feel better but I have battled this for 3 years now! Will I find a cure, will it ever go away, hang in there and don't loose hope. Sleep is very important and I am repeating myself but do believe like others there is a GI link even tho doctors deny. We are here for you and I have refused all heart meds too as I beleive something is ticking our vagus nerve and our hearts are fine. May try the Ranexa and Magnesium duo which was posted.
  • Posted

I agree about the GI thing as I find they are so much worse on days where I have heartburn or bloating. I have said this to my GP who believes there is no link there. Thanks so much I feel so much better knowing im not alone
  • Posted

Let's keep in touch as this really helps me too. I am 58 years old and I bet you are  younger? How long have you had these issues? My SVT started about 10 years ago but was cured with an ablation but my second ablation did not cure these ectopics and I really do not want another one.
    • Posted

Yes lets keep in contact. Ive had ectopics for about 10 years but fluttering episodes only stated about 3 weeks ago. Ive have loads of ecgs done but they are only investigating it properly now smile
  • Posted

Heyim 33 and suffer from this I've irregular heartbeat since teenager alrlthough prob since birth just wasn't detected bak then.. Ye its v scarey I've had that fluttering n vibration last couple days n I spoke t a friend of mine who is a Gp n reassured me tat if ur tests came bak this problem is very common n more of a nuisance than anything but I'm also waiting t c and electro physiologist in June so I'm hoping bits just hadic interruption somewhere I've been on bisoporol 0.50 not even therapeutic level and nocked me for 6. I was spaced for about 4 hrs post taking it freezing cold color in hands n feet totally wiped out nightmares n severe chest pain n apparently thus is norm side effects so I had t stop I'm t sensitive. I think I've prob wit my thymus gland which is located just behind d heart best of luck n I feel definite get good sleep it really helps...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.