Does this sound like AF?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dear All,

History of DVT's and three PE's. Now taking lifelong Apixaban.

Since Tuesday 27th December, I have been experiencing significant chest palpitations, flutterings, shortness of breath and a dry cough. Accompanied by general lethargy.

I have experienced similar symptoms in the past, but a range of extensive investigations including a stress echocardiogram, ruled out any heart issues.

However, my current symptoms are more chronic in their severity and are showing no signs of subsiding.

I have a GP appointment next Wednesday-the earliest that I could see him.

Do such symptoms suggest the possible onset of AF? Any other suggestions? I do feel quite poorly.

Best wishes

Nigel

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update!

Due to the fact that my symptoms continued to persist, I this morning called NHS 111.

They immediately had an Ambulance attend my House and I was transported to my local hospital.

The care I received was outstanding!

I had a series of ECG's, a blood test and chest x ray.

Unfortunately the ECG's did not take place whilst I was having an episode.

Blood test results were normal, as wereECG's. Arrangements were made for me to be admitted to the Cardiac Ward for 24 hour monitoring.

Shortly afterwards, I was visited by one of the hospitals Heart Consultants. He was of the opinion that my monitoring would be best undertaken as an out patient, during normal activities.

He personally arranged for a 24 hour tape to be fitted and discharged me. He also advised that he has taken ownership of my care and that I would be seen in his Clinic next week to discuss the results of the 24 hour tape.

You cannot beat that level of care!!

Just worried that my bloods were normal. If I was positive for AF, would this not have shown up in the blood tests?

I will keep you updated!

Regards

Nigel

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply Nigel, I have just returned home tonight from 2weeks in Spain. Pleased you're a&e experience was good, all have dedicated cardiac teams so that's the best place to go. I don't know what would show up in bloods just know AF shows on ECG . Hope you are ok and receiving appropriate care . Sue

• Posted

Hi Nigel,

I dont think blood tests identify AF.

regarding your speedy marvellous treatment, I think it's a postcode lottery. where do you live?

Reg

• Posted

Thanks Reg,

It is just so frustrating trying to establish the cause of my symptoms!

When they reported that blood tests were normal, I automatically ruled AF out!

I live in Liverpool, which can also be hit and miss! NHS were outstanding today though!

My machine has caught a couple of palpitation episodes so far, so I hope that this reveals something!

Regards

Nigel

• Posted

If you were wearing the machine when you had the bouts, it will definitely pick it up.

reg

• Posted

Thanks Reg,

I have had a significant number of episodes whilst hooked up to the device.

Look forward to my follow up appointment on Tuesday 17th January to discuss the results with the Cardiologist.

Regards

Nigel

• Posted

This morning I visited the Ambulatory Emergency Care Unit at my local Hispital to discuss the results of last week's 24 hour ECG monitoring.

The results of the monitoring revealed ventricular ectopics - a total of 527 in the 24 hours that I was being monitored.

This in itself was of no real oncern to the Doctor. Unfortunately, he added that there were significant runs of 'trigeminy' which if I remember related to triple consecutive ventricular ectopics.

This warrants further investigation by the Cardiologists, for which an Emergency referral was arranged.

Medication wise, I was placed on Bisoprolol and GTN prn spray to take whenever I experience chest pain.

I suppose the fact that it is not AF is a good thing, but the fact that it is so debilitating and requires further investigation is rather worrying.

At least I have some answers now! Has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks for all of your interest and help! I will keep you posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.