Does this sound like cancer?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I've been having some symptoms that have been kind of nerve-wracking. a little bit about my self I first had heartburn when I was 19, around may or June of 2017 and ever since then I've been having regurgitation and reflux but rarely get heartburn. well I have been taking zantac for the past year or so and no improvement at all. the reason I am worried is because the past 2 weeks I've have been having symptoms of dysphagia when I eat something I feel like the food scrapes against my esophagus and the my chest feels tight when food goes down. I've never had any tests done on me. anybody have any idea what's going on?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

There is information about this that you can pick up from the website of Action Against Heartburn.

There is obviously something that is causing the problem, but the age range for people to get oesophageal cancer is a lot older that you appear to be. But what you describe is not normal and could be caused by a number of conditions not just cancer.

The answer is to visit your GP. You will probably be referred for an endoscopy, which is the normal method of investigating what would probably be called unresolved dyspepsia. An endoscopy is a miniature camera passed down your throat which enables the doctors to see what is going on and to take samples as necessary.

• Posted

this cancer is very rare. before you worry yourself too much, please see your GP. zantac shouldnt be used long term really. there are medications ie omeprazole that helps with the symptoms.

you really need an endoscopy to show what it might be.

i would guess 99% that it wouldnt be esophagus cancer.

Go see your doctor

• Posted

Zantac, also known as Ranitidine is a histamine-2 blocker designed to reduce stomach acid. Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor that is also designed to have this effect but works in a different way to achieve this.

It is not necessarily the acid that should cause a worry, but the difficulty in swallowing is something that needs to be looked at with a degree of urgency.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply's. I'm really getting pain and a burning sensation after and during when I eat. It's in the front of my chest and in my back when I swallow. Again I don't usually get heartburn just regurgitation and lpr symptoms that's why I found it a bit odd. It kind of feels like my esophagus is inflammed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.