Does this sound like Chrons?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 23 year old male. A little over a year ago, right after we moved, I began having recurrent runs, I wont get graphic but they were very explosive, a lot of mucus and watery sometimes even pure water. They were one and done most times though. I would have a blowout after a couple hours of bad cramps and be fine the next day. completely normal bowel movement etc. this happened about once or twice a month for about 10 months and then suddenly got much more frequent about once a week for a month and then it got better. I went about three months with minor cramps and no episodes and then it returned once at Christmas (maybe alot of food i dont normally eat?) since then I had another blowout a couple months later and once a month after that.

I have been to my pcp, he did a lot of bloods and took a stool sample, the sample was normal, the only oddity in my blood was mildly low B12, so he tested me for the celiac gene, that cane back negative as well. My B12 has since returned to normal (low normal) without treatment. He said he thinks i have IBS given that my symptoms tend to be eased by a movement (according to him Chrons would continue to be painful after a movement) and the fact my inflammatory markers were low. (he said often times if someone with Chrons is having a flare up their markers will be 70-80 on whatever metric they use. mine was 6)

I guess i just want input from those who live with IBD because the symptoms seem very much to overlap and I am concerned about something more. Like i said the cramps can really hurt but mostly go away (besides a residual muscle pain) after a movement. The movements are very loose and watery and have even dissolved before it was so loose. then literally the next day or day after completely back to normal. I have been under alot of stress the last year and i know that contributes to IBS and it started after moving so there was a major change there. Just looking for opinions.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jacob.

I'm sorry to hear of your awful experience!

firstly I would say in my opinion (I'm no medical expert) that it does sound more like IBS. The fact that it comes and goes away for longer periods and symptoms may only last a day or two etc.

I've had crohn's for over 2years now and I know any time I get pains or abnormal stools it could last a couple of weeks. and my pains dont ease when my bowels open. I would also often vomit and be very nauseous along with the pains...

have they given you any medication to try? I know that my mum has IBS and she used Buscopan quite regularly and finds it gives her relief... just a thought!

hope you get answers soon 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.