Does this sound like epilepsy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've been having some strange events for the last month. It started with me getting a job for the first time in a few months of unemployment. I was stressed out about the whole thing. I have a sever anxiety disorder and so I've always just attributed weird feelings to that but this time was different. I was feeling "off" like I had a rush of energy in my head that was about to be relseased... I felt like I was going to have a seizure, and I remember someone shaking my hand really tight, which startled me and I remember this "energy feeling" turning into a shock, as if I had short circuited. This feeling got worse the more stress I had and it became normal to feel it at work, I would feel these rushes of energy in my head than a shock and my whole upper body would jerk and my eyes would blink. It would feel terrible but not painful. Recently I've been getting other symptoms too, constant muscle twitching in my right foot and arm. Pressure in between my eyes and in my head, phantom smells (coffee once and mostly a burnt rubber smell which is new and just started after I was doctor googling), rumbling sensations in my head and sensitivity to light and sound. I just keep feeling like I'm on the verge of a major seizure. I had this one experience where I was talking to my mom and mid sentence, I felt the "shock" and my head uncontrollably pivoted to the left, it only lasted a second or two. Another scary thing was I was driving my car when I got a sudden flash of deja vu accompanied by muscle twitching in my right arm, that lasted for maybe 3-4 seconds. I've been to 4 different doctors and they all say it's either migraine or my anxiety disorder. I begged the last one for an eeg but he said the chances of this being epilepsy is almost 0%. I'm convinced I've developed epilepsy, I know 21 is a little late for epilepsy and that anxiety can cause some horrendous odd sensations on its own but I can't help but think I'm epileptic. What do you guys think.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Johnny , sorry its taken a while for my reply .

I had similar problems with muscle twitching and sensory disturbances . I also have lots of deja vu especially before my legs and arms begin to shake uncontrollably . I also found it hard to get this diagnosed , however after a lengthy spell in hospital with tonic/clonic seizures I was given scans including an EEG . These showed no signs of epilepsy but instead I was told it is NEAD . This is usually brought on by anxiety or in my case overwhelming pain .

I hope this has helped . Best wishes from Janet 

• Posted

Your not the only one Johnny. I have had these syptopmts for months now and I do have anxiety disorder but it still scares me. I also stare a lot into space but I know what I’m doing it’s weird and scary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.