does this sound like gallstones please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Over 2 years iv had repeated attacks of pain at night crippling stomach pain with sweating, bloating which travels up to my shoulder blade, this has happened 7 times in 2 years, just recently i ate a pot noodle and had the same experience again. A few days ago I had what felt like an upset stomach with upper abdomen pain, wind and constipation with burping. And the worst headaches ever, I saw my doctor who is checking me for h pylori which I don't think I have. My stools are also a pale brown colour. Should I mention to my doctor I think it could be gallbladder? X

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention also I get frequent attacks when eating dairy and fried food's.

• Posted

Hi Donna,

Sounds like same situation as mine. Initially food intolerance for years then gallstones. Overtime food intolerance result in digestion imbalance and poor nutrient absorption and eventually leading to gallstones. Dairy, fried or fatty foods are a common trigger of attacks. I would ask the GP for an ultra-sound asap to check for stones & inflammation etc. You must have amazing pain tolerance not to take yourself off straight to A&E during an attack!

• Posted

To be honest I had no idea what the pain was at the time as I thought it was just wind, but having had them repeatedly and also my friend had similar symptoms to mine and it turned out to be gallbladder issues, what I don't understand is I had a stomach scan one year ago which found no gallstones, could they have been mistaken? Or does it take a while for them to develop? X
  • Posted

I would ask gp for ultra sound scan to see if gallbladder problems. Think we have to manage our own health these days and ask doctors for what we want and see if they think that sounds right. Its not recognised by medical doctors but I read that chineese medicine recognises headache (bad ones usual right and front) can be related to gb I haven't had one since gb removed. Good luck with treatment
    • Posted

That's very true, I had to have an ambulance out a few weeks ago as I ate a pot noodle and had excruciating pain in stomach and shoulder blade and thought, and the paramedic thought I was having a heart attack, and he asked me if I had gallstones x
  • Posted

Some people on here don't have stones so get a clear ultra sound scan but have dysfunctional gb and have another scan ( think its called h.i.d.a not sure lots of people discuss it on here) that measures how your gb performs. It certainly seems you have some of the symptoms.
    • Posted

My stones didn't show up in the ultra sound scan, though it did show inflamed gallbladder, had to have an MRI scan which showed lots of very small stones which my Dr said was like sludge or large grains of sand.
    • Posted

Hi Susan how did you get them to give u an mri scan? As when I had my stomach ultrasound they said I didn't have stones and just sent me home. Did u ask your doctor to refer u further? X
    • Posted

I was in hospital after being taken ill, my husband had phoned out of hours Dr for advice, he sent an ambulance, my temperature was so high they rushed me straight into A&E where I quickly became jaundiced, blood tests pointed towards gallstones, when ultra sound didn't pick up stones but did show inflamed gallbladder Dr requested MRI, which showed the stones and blocked duct.

Perhaps you could ask if you gallbladder showed inflammation, though it would probably only be like that if you were having an episode.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.