Does this sound like Gastritis ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, My 19 year old son has been having stomach issues for nearly a month now. Symptoms are Quite severe stomach pain, Belching, nausea and some vomiting but most worrying is that despite feeling hungry, he simply cannot eat much because of the pain he experiences. He gets full / bloated very quickly and has lost a significant amount of weight in the last couple of weeks.

He experienced similar (but not as severe) symptoms when he was sitting his A levels in May / June and then things calmed down over the summer but he has had a really stressful couple of months with moving to London with his girlfriend and jobhunting. He is quite prone to anxiety and this episode seems to correspond with a particularly stressful period.

His girlfriend has previously suffered with similar issues and was diagnosed with Helicobacter Pylori (? Sp) and Gastritis and I'm, wondering if he has picked up the bacteria and that the stressful episodes have triggerd Gastritis in him as well.

He went to the doctors last week and is currently waiting for Blood/Stool test results but I'm worried that he is becoming quite ill because of the lack of food and that he'll end up in hospital if nothing is done soon. Can Gastritis be this severe ?

He is also complaining of being clammy and headaches and has a vein on the side of his forehead which periodically pulses - Does this indicate high blood pressure and can this be related ?

So my main question is 'Does this sound like Gastritis' but also any advice as to what to do -or just wait for doc (who is brilliant) to come bck to us !!

Many thanks

M

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds exactly like my symptoms and my diagnosis is low stomach acid. I took a simple test to make sure which was , cut a half of lemon squeze and drink it by itself. If any discomfort in the stomach then you know thats not his problem but if he dies not experience anything then thats his problem. If he has any symptoms let him swallow a little sugar that will stop it but if not then what i do is start my day everyday with a half of lemon and i drink cranberry and grapefruit juice mixed together 3 times a day.
  • Posted

Hello M I suggest that you wait for the results then you can start puzzling everything together. 

No good assuming, wait until you know exactly what is going on okay. 

• Posted

All is fine to wait but you can still check the lemon test. It wont do any harm. Headache doesnt have to be high pressure it can also be low. Check b 12 lebels and vitamin d levels also.
  • Posted

Helicobacter Pylori is passed from person to person. It is easily treated by triple therapy (a PPI and two antibiotics) Helicobacter Pylori can cause gastritis/ulcer symptoms.

Stress/Anxiety can cause decreased blood flow to the stomach and that is said to also cause gastritis. Stress can cause a temporary rise in BP.

As a 19 year away from home does he eat properly?  I say that from experience as I moved to London at the same age.....but that was 71 years ago:-) I had the advantage of having found a job before moving there permantly. Is a 19 year old just out of school wirth no work experience going to find a job that will enable him to do more than exist in such an expensive city?

• Posted

Hi, yes it does sound like gastritis.....but rather than jump in as suggested wait for the results. However, I would suggest if stool sample comes back negative for H pylori it doesn't mean he hasn't got it..... Ask your doc for referral for an endoscopy as this gives a better result both for H pylori and gastritis. He could also have a sliding hiatus hernia.....this would account for the pain. There are other things I could suggest he try but I would rather you find out first if this is what's causing his horrible symptoms. My heart goes out to him....I've been struggling with this now for 10 months......logos luck. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.