does this sound like hidradenitis suppurativa?

Posted , 6 users are following.

for a while now, i've been getting "acne" on my butt. it started worrying me when i also got it in my right armpit. i did some research and found out about hs, and panicked a bit once i read more about it. 

i went to see my doctor, and he insisted that i didn't have hs. however, i'm not sure why i'm getting pimples in these weird locations. they're small, don't drain, and go away within a day or two, but they always come back , and are in the areas that hs shows up in. they also aren't due to shaving.

i feel like i need someone who actually has hs to help me be able to tell whether i could have it or not. it's causing me lots of anxiety...i'm scared that one day i'll see a huge boil instead of a little pimple on my armpit or butt. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Usually with HS its not just a few pimples or spots, its full on swolled, red angry boils. That what it is in my case, ive never had small spots with it, only huge red sores. But if you think that you do have it, see another GP for a second opinion because the earlier it is diagnosed the easier it is to treat/prevent from escalating. Good Luck x
  • Posted

Yes, there is a chance you have HS, but if you do, rest assured there is a way to stop it in its tracks and if you do have it, it is so light and in the beginning stages you are very very lucky!  I got HS about a decade ago and didnt know what it was or how to treat it until about 4 years ago.  Humera has SAVED MY LIFE and I suggest going to your dermatologist or even a GS (General Surgeon) and allow them to do an extraction and culture to tell you for sure.  Do not worry about having HS, it is managable.  Painful? Yes, sometimes but not life threatening or debilitating (unless you are a model or swimmer).  Half the people you see walking down the street have HS or something similar, and some may not even know, but get checked just in case, I hope everything works out for you!  Stay strong! 
  • Posted

Hi I agree with Samantha,  This doesn't sound like HS to me.   The lesions caused by HS are usually a lot bigger,  infected and very painful.   The best way to get a diagnosis is to ask to be referred to a dermatologist.   They would know.  x

• Posted

is there a way to post picture?
  • Posted

hi ana,

i do get smaller spots on my armpits and inner thighs. but as calli said, its really nothing to get anxious about its perfectly manageable. if you do have it i suggest cutting out sugar. no big lumps for me for a year now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.