Does this sound like hyperthyroid? Hot flushes, palpitations....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I'm 19, female and after having my iron and vitamin d tests I'm frustrated that the doctors tell me I should have 'peace of mind' now!

My iron was good but my vit d was a tiny bit low (was told to take supplements)

However I'm still experiencing symptoms. They include: heart palpitations randomly throughout the day (sometimes just a fast heart, sometimes it feels like it skipped a beat), ITCHY red bumpy rashes that come and go (like hives/urticaria), an itchy neck that has recently got more pimples

Ive also got grey hairs, and I can hear my heart throbbing in my right ear only (it comes and goes, is worse when I'm stressed)

I've also been getting hot flushes..I used to be really sensitive to cold but recently when I enter a car/non ventilated room I get super hot from within and my face and chest goes red, sweat like crazy and my heart beats fast.

I can't be going through menopause cause I'm only 19! But I have noticed my periods have changed from 7 days to 5.

Is this something to be concerned about? Are these symptoms significant?

I'm at a loss of what else could be causing me to experience this!

Thankyou

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have overactive thyroid (hyperthyroid) I had the same symptoms , why don't u have a blood test for thyroid ?
    • Posted

I want one! But I'm going to have to change doctors by the looks of it. My doctor seemed to think my symptoms weren't anything to worry about. Did you have any other symptoms?

Thanks for the reply smile

• Posted

Yes I did , my hands were always shaking , my hair was falling out . Was 11 stones went down to 8 stone cause of hyperthyroid . I got very emotional very quickly , stressed out , panicking on little little situation . U need to go to ur doctor and tell him or her that u want to have a thyroid blood test and he should give it to u ,ders no reason why u can't hav a thyroid test
  • Posted

It does sound very familiar! You are more aware than I was though - I had no idea I was ill I just soldiered on for months until the digestive problems and weightloss got alarming. I then decided I had cancer and went to the docs.
  • Posted

I was routinely tested for thyroid labs every 6 months or so routinely for other reasons so my levels showed up very quickly when they were off.  If I had symptoms like yours, I would like to be tested for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 as well as cortisol for possible adrenal problems and female hormones.  If any of those results come back abnormal, for instance the thyroid labs show evidence of hyperthyroidism, then further tests need to be done to determine the cause.  As a patient, I would tell my doc, I have symptoms and want to be evaluated for the cause of them.  I understand some of the symptoms I have could be due to an endocrine problem with either adrenals, gynecological or thyroid.  Even a once a year physical would include those tests I would think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.